sheaths

2 years 1 month ago #61199 by byron
Replied by byron on topic sheaths
Thank you for information of the freedom cath. 
I am not in the US and this product the freedom cath is not available elsewhere. Amazon US also say it is not available at the moment. The reviews are mixed many say  they dont  really work or have too little adhesive. So unless I buy it at a very inflated price where I live who ship it from the US I cannot get it. I have already written I cant see it really working, water has a habit of getting anywhere. If it really was like super glue it would not be very good for the skin either. I read that one has to take sheaths off to let the skin 'breathe'. It cant very well breathe under super glue at all.  I have my own method of achieving what I need but I understand it is far from perfect. I shall explain what I do. First of all I have to sleep on my back for reasons not connected to this since I have had other cancer operations. I therefore dont turn at all by night.I have to move my legs otherwise cramp sets in. I wrote about problems using a bag, on the net it tells you what to do about air pockets but I havent succeeded in doing what they suggest. As I say it is the same as a hot water bottle you can never fill it without an air bubble. So I use a bucket instead which doesnt have this problem. Now the tube, I bought a meter of 14mm inside dimension and 16mm outside dimension tubing and after cutting a bit off the  end of the   sheath I manage to get it on. Since it is not the penis, one can tie it on as tight as possible so it shouldnt come off in use using velcro and elastic. I use a tiny bit of adhesive on the sheath and also tie it on with a posy and velcro so it shouldnt come off. I use a thicker one similar to a coloplast one it shouldnt twist or kink or stick together easily before going into the tube. I have tilted my bed slightly as well so the sagging in the middle isnt so bad. I have also put a string round my mattress and the tube goes under the string to stop it 'going up' before leaving the bed. The tube is quite rigid  and 'bends' over the bed into the bucket. I find it works well.
I dont know why the sheath manufacturers dont use a tube of this diameter, or at least bigger than the ones they use, it makes it much easier to pass urine straight to the tube and less airblocks.   

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #61197 by byron
I also use coloplast sheaths but have not used this one. I cant understand how it is watertight which I suppose means the water or urine will not go under the adhesive (wide I suppose   means it covers a wide area of the base) to the base of the limb. It would have to be some type of super glue, and also difficult to remove the catheter.. If there is a stoppage in the tube like an airlock the urine has to go somewhere and if there is too much it will go under the adhesive. Where else will it go. It wont make a hole in the catheter to get out, or if it has to go up, it wont go up. I cant see how the bulb will stop it.  I have used the coloplast conveen optima and it certainly goes under the adhesive.  I should mention the 
www.allegromedical.com/products/freedom-cath-male-external-catheter/
Freedom Cath Male External Catheter - Latex
Freedom Cath is a self-adhering, one-piece latex catheter for secure everyday use.
Combines a comfortable latex sheath with a wide, watertight adhesive seal. The Freedom Cath is applied by simply rolling it on. No need to apply adhesive tapes. The reservoir bulb prevents backflow of urine.

I suppose it only  'helps to prevent' but not really stops. 

If the adhesive fully stops it why would you need the bulb as well. 

www.clockmedical.com/itemdetail/341
CATHETER SHEATH LG FREEDOM CATH EAItem #: 341
Product InfoCOLOPLAST
Supplier Part #: COL-8400

COLOPLAST CORP Sween catheter sheath large freedom clear. The freedom clear is a 100% latex-free, self-adhering, one piece catheter with an ultra-thin sheath for everyday wear. This is formerly a mentor product. It is a large sheath at 35mm diameter. Allowed 17 every 30 days. Purchase by the each. Order 100 to receive a full case.

Which is it Latex free or not Latex free. Or are there more than one kind of the freedom cath. 

2 years 1 month ago #61196 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic sheaths
Byron

Google and take a look at:

Coloplast  External Male Catheter 35MM LG Freedom (COL 8400)Freedom Cath catheter is a self-adhering, one piece latex catheter for secure everyday use. Combines a comfortable latex sheath with a wide, watertight adhesive seal. Reservoir bulb prevents backflow of urine. Self Adhering.Size: Large, 35 mmUoM: eaItem #: COL 8400Let us know what your Uro team has to offer.
Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

2 years 1 month ago #61194 by byron
Thanks.
The anti back flow of all the many sheaths I have are in the bag at the end of the tubing. Not at the sheath end on any of them. So you must either have a special one or one I dont have. But like I wrote if you lift your legs up what stops the urine going back and leaking past meaning under the sheath. I dont really have 'incontinence' except that I dont like getting out of bed every hour. So I have usually but not always a normal stream and like I wrote an airlock is usually there.

2 years 1 month ago #61193 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic sheaths
Byron, Perhaps there is a difference in degree of continence causing our different experiences..
At zero continence the flow is near continuous  at very low volume.
With some degree of continence (out of my experience here) perhaps the intermittent high volume expelled overruns the drain tubing ability to keep pressures down  and creates a leak.

Thinking out loud here. In house plumbing, a surge tank (water-hammer absorber) would be installed to prevent problems from a liquid surge. Seems like a similar issue with a 'raised leg' - an increase in pressure in the tubing that can cause a leak.

My tubing has an anti-backflow valve; never had a problem with it.

My thought turned to a Jackson-Pratt drain, (drain with light suction) as used in general surgery, and the Net found some urinary usage. Talk to your doc about this and see if there is anything useful in this line of thinking.

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11257691/
Intravesical Jackson-Pratt drain for urinary diversion after augmentation cystoplasty I hope you find a workable remedy.

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

2 years 1 month ago #61192 by byron
Thank you.
You explain how you stop the bed 'sagging' but not what you do if you lift your legs up while 'going'. Since the bag is connected to your leg it will be higher and the urine will run into the sheath. You also dont explain what you do about an air lock but maybe you never have them

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne