Severe reaction to BCG after 4 treatments

2 years 3 months ago #61159 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Severe reaction to BCG after 4 treatments
Hi Shawn,
My husband did have severe reaction to BCG.  In fact, he ran a fever for over a month from it.  He had to see an infectious disease doctor and take antibiotics.  He was not able to continue BCG.  BUT he is still doing well now.  Best wishes.
Anita

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sklunk1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 3 months ago #61158 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Severe reaction to BCG after 4 treatments
Sorry to hear that you are having severe side effects.  Most people get through this with only "uncomfortable" side effects, but some do have more serious reactions.  

There is a wealth of information from others who have had bad reactions on this Forum.  Just go to the top of this page and use the "SEARCH" function to find other posts on severe BCG reactons.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

2 years 3 months ago #61157 by Alan
Welcome sklunk1,

I am sorry you have had a severe reaction to BCG. I am sure your URO will want your system to rest before any further treatments. By the fact you have tolerated 4  even with a bad reaction, you may very well have some therapeutic benefit.

I am simply guessing your URO will try another agent to instill among the many chemos as a wash going forward. Most have given patients coverage. Just not quite as effective as BCG seems to be. There also may be some trial that may offer some other options.....which I am not up to speed on as I have not had to investigate these. Keep checking as some others may have other ideas.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

2 years 3 months ago #61154 by Sklunk1
Has anyone ever had a severe reaction to BCG? Also, what were your next steps.

Shawn Klunk49 yom Firefighter
Noninvasive papillary
urothelial cell carcinomaDiagnosed 10/13/21

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne