Blood In Urine After Taking Aspirin or Vitamins

2 years 3 months ago #61072 by joea73
I would go and see a urologist based if it were based upon my experience.  I had experienced seeing blood in urine when I was taking a baby aspirin to reduce incidents of heart attack.  The test for infection was negative but when I had third time seeing blood urine, I went to ER and luckily, the ER doctor after confirming the blood in urine arranged CT scan with contrast.  The CT scan showed a 2cmx1cm mass.   The radiologist expressed his concern about the mass.  I was wishing that the mass was just clot of my blood.   A week later, the urologist did cystoscopy and showed me a coral like mass and told me that I had a bladder cancer.   I am aware now that one of hall marks of cancer is its ability to have our body build new blood vessels to feed oxygen and nutrition to enable cancer cells to divide constantly.  But because those new blood vessels are fragile, the constriction and the expansion of the bladder to store urine and void it, those blood vessels tend to break, causing bleeding.   At that time, I thought perhaps, taking baby aspirin as blood thinner to reduce the risk of heart attack might have contributed in causing bleeding.  I will never know. But, in anyway, finding that the mass was a tumor was shock to me but I am glad that bleeding had happened and I was able to see blood in urine and followed though the processes. 

best       

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 4 months ago #61071 by Jack R
Nice Guy,
It is my fifth year 5 with bladder and kidney cancer. Both bleed. Based on my experiences;

First you need to determine if it is blood you see. Events of 10 years ago offer only suggestions of prior history.

Dipstick urine tests are cheap. Buy the test at a drug store. It will tell you if your next "bleed" is likely to blood or discolored urine; these are screening tests, not diagnostic tests.

Vitamin C can color urine to orangish hues and be mistaken for blood.  Cola can be an irritant and promote bleeding. NSAIDS, including aspirin can promote bleeding. Having used any of these can be suspicious but not diagnostic of a urinary bleed until a office urinalysis proves blood.

Urinary bleeding is often below the level of detection by eye. An office urine test, spun down and examined by microscope, is needed for a real answer as to blood.

WHICH ORGAN ? Anyone's guess without medical tests. IF there is blood.

The concern about blood in the urine is that CAN BE an early sign of bladder cancer. A tiny fraction of urinary bleeds are due to urinary cancer - but ruling out that cancer early is really important,

Welcome to a BLADDER CANCER FORUM. Straight answers are given here by current and prior urinary cancer patients (not doctors). No one is going to be able to answer your question based on what you have posted.

YOU HAVE BEEN OFFERED THE BEST POSSIBLE ADVICE BY OTHERS - FIND OUT. SEE YOUR DOCTOR. 

No one has disrespected you. They have offered you hard-learned advice that can have a profound effect on your future. We all hope that nothing will be found. Your Call.

Best
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

2 years 4 months ago #61070 by Alan
Simple answer is, you know as much as we do. None of us are doctors. Anything I might post is simply a guess.

As I already posted this could be coming from your stomach, bladder, kidneys. You could have an intestinal issue. Often, there is no known reason for the bleeding.  It sounds like you have already figured the reason out? Have a great day!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

2 years 4 months ago #61069 by NiceGuy
"why are you on a bladder cancer board?"

Because I have questions and I'm looking for a place to have a discussion and seeing as how the bladder could be involved I posted my question here for discussion.

This is a forum ... a place for discussion.

It was 100% predictable that the overbearing response would be go to a doctor.

But I didn't ask "what should I do', I asked which organ would start and stop bleeding after ingesting cola or vitamin c ?

2 years 4 months ago #61068 by Alan
Aspirin often does cause bleeding. It can be from your stomach, bladder, kidneys etc.

As Sara Anne wrote, bleeding of any type does need to be checked out. As you said, stopping some of the OTC drugs may be a simple cure. At the same time as a bypass survivor, 2 bad hernias one that was close to strangulation, bladder cancer, a melanoma found some 6 years ago I have learned checking things out before things got worse has saved my life. Plus, my quality of life and general health has only gotten better. Otherwise (please do not take this the wrong way), why are you on a bladder cancer board? Bleeding can have 100+ causes of which many may never be found.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

2 years 4 months ago #61067 by NiceGuy
" in many cases, a cause is never found."

Well, I can tell you what's causing it and I can make it start and stop. So, it's not cancer,

I'm wondering which organ is bleeding and how/why the cola, aspirin and vitamin c is causing it.

And I'm not "fooling around". That's a rather rude answer. 

Going to a doctor is like going to a dealership to get your car problem diagnosed. 
There's a lot of manipulation to do tests and checks to cover all possibilities.

The reality of it is going to a doctor is the last, rather than first, resort. 
Especially since the normal person can't understand medical costs and billing and the hospitals and insurance are in bed together.

With the exorbitant cost of health care and the ripping off of the public, I'd rather try to understand better what I'm dealing with before I subject myself to going carte blanche for a lot of unneeded tests and visits.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne