Intermittent self catheters

2 years 5 months ago #61051 by byron
Replied by byron on topic Intermittent self catheters
www.teleflex-homecare.co.uk/products/urology-continence/intermittent-catheters/liquick-x-treme/

How to use a liquick BASE catheter?
Tear the package open by a length of approx. 10 cm and remove the catheter by using the blue protective sleeve. Push the blue protective sleeve towards the catheter tip. Holding the catheter by the blue protective sleeve you are able to insert it into the urethra without any hand contact. This is also a  German company and to me exactly the same catheter as the Manfred Sauer one. I cant tell the difference. It is also the perfect catheter. No need to hold it in. Properly tapered unlike others who call theirs that. Covered all the time. After inserting the tip and another few inches you hold the blue sleeve and push the catheter through it into the limb or push it by the funnel. It doesnt hurt and goes in easily. You can read more about it on the link I gave. They dont seem to have a video for this only for a previous product and not in English. It squashes down well. I have only one more to do. This company seems to be global and also seems to make Rusch products. It did not come with a bag but they do make one with one. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 5 months ago #61050 by byron
I have gone on a lot about sizes. All companies (except coloplast) stress that one must have the correct size measured by a nurse. I understand 'correct' size to mean the largest one which will fit into your limb opening. And the only reason so far is that the bladder will empty a few seconds quicker. I dont think the opening will otherwise close up. I dont believe any nurse ever measured an opening, they just think of a number and if it goes in thats it. Now many sites of these companies have a Q&A page and the usual question is, what happens if the catheter gets stuck inside. They dont have my answer which is if it happens too often then get a smaller and smaller size, till one that wont get stuck so often. I am sure the seconds he will lose will be far less than waiting to get unstuck every time which is one of their answers. But of course the companies cant say that, because it would mean that really size doesn't matter. So anyone with the least bit of problems like it doesn't go in easily or come out easily, which as I said can also be because of the 'grease' drying up, get a smaller size catheter. I can only say if that is the only reason you need a nurse, and can otherwise put it in yourself which you very likely can after reading so much about it here, and most likely better than having a nurse, then you dont really need one. They seem to be the highest paid nurses, most likely because the companies pay them as well, to promote their products. I wonder if there are any more medical products where the patient or nurse can choose between them. 

2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #61049 by byron
Wellspect LoFric Intermittent Catheters
From the comment on the video.
---Each person has their own unique condition and there is not just one answer on how to learn to catheterize. Some of you might experience a feeling of unease when you are about to get started. But don´t worry. Most people get over and past that feeling as soon as they have tried it a few times.---
I only know one answer and that is how to get it inside you and there is only one way to do that. 
I must admit something first. I have said all along that I dont know how to hold it in by holding the limb. I do remember now when I trained that I held the limb up while holding it tight. Not that I like doing it but it would help a bit with holding it and holding it up, it would not fall out when moving the slider back. Another thing that I haven't mentioned. Some companies especially like this one, which has a sachet which I couldn't open, says that if the catheter doesn't stay 'greased' long enough after opening the already 'greased' ones, or those with a sachet that does this, or you wait too long it will hurt you either as you put it in or when you take it out which is of course later. 
Now back to this catheter. It comes with a sachet is fully covered with non-see through plastic. You cant see the sachet and you cant see the liquid coming out of it. Another problem is as I say I couldnt open the sachet with my fingers. After a time it still felt full so I decided to open the catheter covering and the sachet was open and what I felt was really an airlock. So now I l know, I have to prick the plastic first. Well you live and learn. Anyway one should be able to see the sachet through the plastic and also the liquid coming out of it. It is an uncovered catheter and is held by the limb. I somehow managed by holding it up. The slider I am sorry to say is the worst one I have come across loose, made of thick plastic and very hard or should I say impossible to hold the catheter with. I couldnt push the catheter in using the slider so i had to push it from the funnel. It wasnt easy because  the catheter is quite soft plastic and bends. l somehow managed, a lot came out. No bag comes with it. It didnt hurt not going in or going out, and went in easy.  They have a lot of videos. views 3017 They speak in English. 

2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #61048 by byron
I have received this feedback from a nurse of one of the companies I discussed.
-- I can say is that any item like a catheter has to go through stringent evaluations with catheter users before they are allowed to go into the drug tariff to be dispensed. Every single individual needing to use an ISC product is different, and that is why there are so many products out there to enable individuals with the help and expertise of the nurses, to find the best and most suitable product for them. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your feedback with us.--

My experience which you are all reading shows a totally different picture. People are only different with the ability to use their fingers and hands. Where the catheter goes they are all the same. And if they have problems there with one catheter they will have it with all of them. I doubt if any nurse chooses a catheter based on the differences in people I mention or even knows the differences in catheters. They are most likely paid by the catheter companies to use their product. I believe that the catheter companies are just fooling the public and the nurses who have really no idea. I have still to find a company to tell me why they have so many sizes (coloplast manage with only one) and if there is really a difference in minutes (more likely seconds) in how quick they are to drain a catheter they should tell us how many. I also cannot believe that it goes into any evaluation with a user. Then only the best would be allowed. Or they use a user whose hands and fingers are perfect.

2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #61047 by byron
SensaCath Intermittent Catheter
This is an uncovered catheter which has to be held by the limb which I cant do, with a very small slider for only  two fingers which i cant hold and also much too loose on it. I cant tell the difference between it and the bard one. Not much came out so I used a bard catheter afterwards and no more came out so it most likely emptied it. I have tried again holding it by the limb which you have to be able to do to use it but no luck. I have tried it at almost the 'base' of the limb everything I can think of. Although I could use pliers for the slider and really would have to, I cant very well use it for the limb. It did not hurt and went in easily. I believe I have only three more to try and hope to do them soon. I cant see a video for this, but it would be the same as the Bard one. It did not come with a bag and is not tapered. 
www.clinisupplies.co.uk/products/44/SensaCath-Intermittent-Catheter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan

2 years 5 months ago #61045 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Intermittent self catheters
Tremendous summaries. Thanks.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne