Intermittent self catheters

2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #61041 by byron
Replied by byron on topic Intermittent self catheters
Thanks. Well why not get someone also to do what I cant do. A woman to do the same on female catheters. I am sure they are also not the same. I think I should stress again that I have only used most of them a few times and have only been trained on the first one. It is possible that with training or experience things may be otherwise. I should add. I thank all the companies who sent me free samples. I really hope they will improve on 'holding' the limb. Two companies have a small piece of plastic for that. They all should have it. I am sending a link to all companies whom I included in the survey. Perhaps one of your viewers can add on their opinion of companies whose products I cant get like rusch and care. Coloplast refuse to send me samples I still gave them a good report I am not being biased by that. I did therefore ask them to give me a sample since I had to return it to the one I borrowed it from. They still wouldnt even though I wrote to them I surely deserve it and would agree to pay for it.  Their excuse was that even though I had sent them  my hospital training card and they knew my doctor had authorised a distributor to send me more, still I had not trained on their catheter and my doctor had not authorised their catheter for a sample to be given and it could be dangerous for me. I can only say I wrote back, do they really think I need training after giving such a comprehensive report. Being a user I am sure that I know better than any trainer who isnt. And as you can see, if youve seen one, youve seen them all and theirs is no more dangerous than any other.  I ask each company why do you need so many sizes and insist on it. Coloplast has one size for 12-18 why must you have four sizes for that. One company told me although he was only a salesman that he thinks it will come out quicker with a higher size. I suppose it would since the tube is wider but I cant see it being more than seconds even on a very full bladder which it rarely is. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 4 months ago #61040 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Intermittent self catheters
Byron, I will echo what others have said.  Thank you so much for reporting on this.  I know that a LOT of patients will find your
report extremely useful!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

2 years 4 months ago #61039 by byron
VaPro catheters | Hollister
It was a real pleasure to use. I get the impression although it says size 14 it seems thinner and  little urine came out and I cant be sure anything was left in unless I use another catheter but I dont feel like doing that now. Anyway they have come across with what I have been saying the main problem is all the time that you have to hold the limb tight it should not fall  out. They have sorted this out this way. They have cap on the tip which you also insert and the cap is like a one way street that the catheter can only go in unless you pull the cap out. So you only have to hold the cap onto the limb and make sure it stays in. There is another one also having a cap which I have mentioned so it us unlikely to be patented so they all should have this. It is only a very little piece of plastic which works well.
Much simpler than holding it tight. The catheter is covered with a plastic which you push in and at the same time squash down. It would be easier if the plastic could come off at the end but there is something holding it back. It did squash down quite well. I would cut if off to start with. It went in easily and didnt hurt at all. Taking out one has to take out the cap and pull it out.  I must state that one has to take out a catheter slowly otherwise I dont think any lasting damage will result but it can hurt for quite a few hours afterwards (my experience). I again tried to hold this catheter inside although unnecessary but couldnt. Views 152
www.hollister.co.uk/en-gb/continencecare/vapro#paneld7-1 Is also of interest. I just wonder if you can put the end on another catheter even after it has been used and washed.

2 years 4 months ago #61037 by byron
Curan Advantage Man
This catheter comes with a sachet which you have to press and open, and flood the catheter. I had to use pliers. The sachet is not coloured and the plastic catheter container is not properly see through. All you can see is the black writing on it. When you flood the catheter you cant see the liquid coming out and going down the catheter. You open it and take it out. It has a blue slider not very big just for two fingers and much too loose around the catheter meaning much too big and even if holding it, the catheter slips away. I had a size 12 which was easy enough to put in but I couldnt hold it there by holding the limb. I need more practice at this. I think you have to hold it like this. If the opening cut is north south then you have to hold it east west. Just holding it tight anywhere doesnt work for me. The catheter is not rigid and you cant just push it at the funnel end. It did not come with a bag. I originally put in as much as I could and afterwards somehow got the rest in. I think it emptied the bladder since a lot came out. It didnt hurt and went in easily. So the slider should be larger and tighter. 
views 1027

2 years 4 months ago #61036 by byron
 B. Braun Group      Actreen® Hi-Lite Cath: 
This catheter comes with a huge bag, someone must be very very ill to need it and again tries to stop you needing to hold the limb. I dont fully understand the video, and would have to use it more often to find out. Anyway it is fully covered and you are supposed to tear off bits of it. As usual I had to use scissors. First you tear off the first six inches and put it in. Then exactly what you do I am not sure. I tried pushing it in with the rest of the cover on and hoped it would bunch and squash down, it didnt do that very well while holding the catheter. In the end I pushed it from the funnel in, not easy with all the cover on. I should have taken all the cover off first. It is quite rigid and can be pushed from the funnel in but again with the cover off you would have to be careful not to touch it. I cant give a verdict since I will still have to try every possibility on the video to do that. I can only say the normal amount came out hardly noticeable in such a huge bag. I also as usual couldnt tear the bag and had to use scissors. It didnt hurt and went in easy. They call the parts of the cover A B C. A has to be taken off with B and C one has to play with, whatever one does it will be uncovered so one has to be careful. Next time I will try just taking C off and pushing from the funnel. They could make it much simpler like a previous one I mentioned where they have a proper squashable cover.  8998 views

2 years 4 months ago #61035 by byron
Coloplast Speedicath Compact Set
This a telescopic catheter made from two pieces so it closes to about eight inches. It has a bag at the end but without marks for how much (I dont know why) and fits into an eight inch container which you open by unscrewing the top half. You then pull the first  catheter piece which afterwards pulls out the second which seems quite firm inside. You now have a 'long' catheter. You hold it by the end which is far away and put it in. It is rigid and straight and it wasnt hard to find the opening and went straight in. I suppose one has to have a good hand for it. I dont really know how such a rigid catheter can go up to the bladder which isnt a straight line at all but somehow it managed the twists and turns. It didnt hurt at all and I must say I quite liked it. Unlike all the others it is made for size 12-18 and of course the part that first goes in and reaches the bladder is thinner than the second part which also goes in. It seemed to me that all the bladder was emptied, about the same came out than with the others with a bag. I still dont know why there are so many sizes and why one size cannot fit all. 12-18 is about almost all the main sizes and why all the companies make four sizes out of it. As usual I couldnt rip the bag with my hands to empty it and used scissors for it. There seems to be many videos about it and I have just chosen one. There really isnt much they tell you 
viewers 22295

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne