Intermittent self catheters

2 years 3 months ago #61086 by June
Replied by June on topic Intermittent self catheters
This week has been quite busy in "My Bladder Cancer(BC) Journey" as I have been to three different hospitals but I got the all clear so all worth it with just one more test result to come on Monday I live for another 3 months until the next round of testing, even plan on going on holiday. Well done on your own personnel "Ankr app" and long may it continue. Your emotional journey sounds much the same as mine as it's in the early hours when you lie in bed thinking about the whole stupid world that has been thrown at us and the question is always "Why Me" but you get up and get on with life as it is and thats what counts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 4 months ago #61064 by byron
Replied by byron on topic Intermittent self catheters
Thank you
I tried a size 8 today, my usual size is 14, I have learned how to hold it in limb you have to first feel it inside you. Anyway of course it went in and out very easily much easier than a size 14 and the same amount came out. I can only say what I have said all along that one should use the smallest size that works. Not enough people read this compared to the amount of people using catheters which must be in the 100000 at least. If you have anywhere else where you can put this post or link to it you are welcome to do so.

2 years 4 months ago #61063 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Intermittent self catheters
Quite a summary. Thanks for all your work. You will never know how many (it will be a lot) people you have helped along. Thanks.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

2 years 4 months ago #61059 by byron
The second type Manfred-sauer,Coloplast, hollister,teleflex one doesnt need to use a slider. 
So my choice is between these four. Coloplast is not covered and one has to have a good hand to use it so I will drop that.  Now about the other three. 
From an email by teleflex to me. 
I have indeed seen your post, thank you for your honest views. The group looks to be a great support for the end users.
 Are you referring to the IQ Cath from Manfred Sauer? If so, the IQ Cath has a small ‘ball’ (spherical tip) on the top of their catheter where our tip is called an ergothan tip (tapered) instead of the ‘small ball’  the shaft of our catheter is firm but the tip flexible.
Well that is the difference between the two. Now hollister has an added feature to control infection. And that is the cap to put on the top of the limb where the infection mainly comes from. It being the nearest to the outside world. So unless you can use the cap again and again and use the hollister cap on the others that would make them not really different.. I have sent an email to the two German companies that they should also have a cap. I am quite sure they will. I have only tried them all once or twice and will try more often before I can make a decision. One thing you can be sure of that these are the best because you dont have to hold the catheter with the limb which can sometimes hurt afterwards.  I again say that one should really use the smallest catheter it would go in the easiest and if it works then that should be the one to use. I have proven this from the coloplast which has one size most likely less than twelve if a  size twelve can use it. 

2 years 4 months ago #61056 by byron
www.cochrane.org/CD006008/INCONT_intermittent-catheter-techniques-strategies-and-catheter-designs-managing-long-term-bladder
Manfred-sauer, gentle-cath, hunter-urology, clini-med curan, Braun, MTG pioneer.coloplast, Hollister, wellspect, bard, teleflex, sensa-cath 
They are basically two types one which uses a slider that has to be moved back on the catheter to put the next part in, and one which you push in the catheter under a plastic like, or the funnel.
So the first type are Bard, Braun, gentle-cath,MTG,curan,Hunter,wellspect, sensa-cath. 
Some of these if they are not too soft can be used by pushing the funnel. 
Some of these have to be held they should not fall out while moving the slider back by holding the limb and some by holding the cap.
Some are covered 
Some have a good large soft slider and some have a small or hard one.
Some even though they call their catheter tapered are not tapered enough 
Some still have a sachet. 
Some easier to open than others.
Some come with see through plastic to see the sachet and the water flooding the catheter, with others you cant. 

The second type Manfred-sauer,Coloplast, hollister,teleflex one doesnt need to use a slider. 

2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #61053 by byron
hunterurology.com/products/aloehydroplus

//hunterurology.com/images/site-images/AloeHydro-Image.jpg

---Aloe Hydro Plus is a hydrophilic intermittent catheter, which means that you need to activate the coating before use.  Fold the catheter at the base of the funnel to break the water sachet and wait for 30 seconds. When the coating has been activated the catheter will turn slightly cloudy and become slippery when it is ready to use.Together with the flexible tip and smooth eyelets, this allows for easier insertion and removal.---
This catheter as can be seen comes inside a see through plastic with a large soft slider. I did manage to break the sachet  maybe I am getting more experience but I, as usual could not hold it in with holding the limb. But I managed to hold the slider and push it in by pushing the funnel. It went in and out easy and a lot came out. It is well tapered and has no bag. Of the uncovered ones I found it one of the best although maybe it is because I have more experience. That is all the catheters I have, so now I have to make a conclusion.
Attachments:

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne