Bladder cancer, chemo, cataract surgery, and COVID

2 years 8 months ago #60904 by dtat60
I can't understand why anything would be worth the risk of contracting Covid. In my area, Austin, elective surgeries are not available at some facilities already. It is frustrating to me that although we have a way to defeat this pandemic (vaccine) about large percent of the population refuses to do it - so I have little hope that this will go away soon.   I can tell you based up someone I know that the virus doesn't seem to be that much of a risk until you get it and then people change their mind quickly - sometimes it can be too late.

08/16 Blood in Urine;09/16 CT Scan, RPG, Cysto;10/16 TURBT;12/08 BL TURBT;01/17 6X BCG;05/17 NED, 3X BCG, 9/17 NED, 3X BCG,1/18 NED, 3X BCG,7/18 NED, 3X BCG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 8 months ago #60903 by sara.anne
This is just my opinion, of course, but having had both bladder cancer and cataract surgery I would not go anywhere where there is a possibility of infection.  Since your friend is vaccinated the odds of a serious bout of Covid are low.  BUT to me the worst thing would be to have the cataract surgery cancelled!   

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

2 years 8 months ago #60902 by jj
Hello, I am new to this forum. A special person just completed 6 weeks of chemo for "low grade, non-invasive" bladder cancer on 8/10, and will undergo cataract surgery on 8/17. This person wants to attend a community gathering on Sunday with folks from our church, most of who are vaccinated, as is this person. COVID variant is on the rise in our community, as elsewhere, and I am encouraging this person to rethink this decision, because I think that there is high risk, especially before 2 cataract surgeries (8/17 and 8/31). Any thoughts most welcome. Thank you.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne