My Dad is starting BCG

2 years 9 months ago #60849 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic My Dad is starting BCG
Since one of side effects of BCG treatment is frequent urgency to pee. One thing you can try is a condom catheter. The condom catheter is often used by men who had chosen neobladder after the removal of bladder when they go to bed so they can sleep through the night.  You can buy condom catheters and collection bags at Ostomy Supply stores. Best

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #60847 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic My Dad is starting BCG
Welcome,

First, I always admire care givers having been a recipient several times. Your Dad is fortunate and pat yourself on the back. Your help is doubly tough with dementia.

Any answer might include just how bad the dementia has gotten. From what you have described with "limited" control of his urination, your plan is probably a good one.  The toxicity while real, is probably not quite as intense as you envisage. Washing thoroughly of hands and cleaning the toilet bowl are important. At the same time when I asked my URO about the BCG his answer was "If it were that dangerous, I wouldn't allow my staff to handle it". Clorox/bleaching the bowl is still a good idea.

Edit ad: Should you need extra help, beyond normal channels via insurance/day care etc, some of the hospice care groups do wonderful palliative care. This is not "end of life" but, simply helping patients be more comfortable in a home setting.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sadchel

2 years 9 months ago #60845 by sadchel
My Dad is starting BCG was created by sadchel
Hi everyone,

First time post.  My 90yr old father was diagnosed with non-invasive bladder cancer last summer. Since then he has had 4 TURBTs surgeries BUT the cancer re-occurs.

After some hesitancy, our family has decided to allow him to get BCG treatment starting this week.

My (first) question is: My father has dementia and has limited control of his urination.
He wears adult depends.
Considering the "toxicity" of the BCG treatment, I was wondering if on the day of his treatment I should get allow him to sit on the toilet when he has the urge WHILE still wearing the depends underwear. That would lower the risk of urine getting splashed around the seat and floor etc. I would then simply remove the depends and discard in a plastic bag and clean his genital area with soap and water the best I can.

Any thoughts?

thank you

dan

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne