Cytology Results

2 years 10 months ago #60784 by busaman
Replied by busaman on topic Cytology Results
I am confused by my urine tests also.  After my turbt and bcgs i had a test last december that came back positive for urothelial carcinoma, then i had one that said "atypical urothelial cells," which my uro said was ambiguous (maybe yes maybe no).  then my next one said "negative for urothelial carcinoma."  but now my latest test from last week says "atypical urothelial cells" again.  I guess it's better that "positive" but i will have to see what my uro says.  I am seeing my uro tomorrow to get my regular three month scoping. ouch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: toekneek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago #60783 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Cytology Results

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #60782 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Cytology Results
Welcome toekneek,

If there is one thing I have learned...it is patience when it comes to medical tests. Cytology tests are notorious for false positives and negatives. Hope for the best, prepare for less than perfect news, and simply wait. Every other guess Is just a guess and wasted effort.....easy for me to say, yes. You will know nothing until then. They may even schedule more tests.

Post as you go on what you find or do not find. We all learn from each other.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

2 years 10 months ago #60781 by toekneek
Cytology Results was created by toekneek
I just got copied on my cytology results.  It's negative for urothelial carcinoma but it showed scattered urothelial cells and squamous cells as present.  I have a CT scan tomorrow and will meet with the Dr on June 4 to discuss results of both the cytology and CT scan.  I'm relieved about the negative result, but also unsure what the scattered squamous cells might mean.  Anyone had a similar result and can share any insight?  Otherwise, I guess I just wait until June 4, which seems years from now.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne