New to Forum/Undiagnosed: Expecting the Worst

2 years 8 months ago #60887 by Beto
Hi.  Sorry to bother you.  But I have been having insurance issues regarding the proper CPT procedure code for a CT-urogram.  My doctor's office, imaging facility, and insurance provider seem to confuse it with the CPT procedure code for a CT of the abdomen/pelvis.  Without the proper CPT procedure code, I am unable to get insurance authorization for the procedure.  So, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share the CPT procedure code for a CT-urogram.  Many thanks.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 11 months ago #60750 by Beto
Congrats, Sara Anne!  Thank you for your kind words.

I am also trying to maintain hope since uro cystoscopy did NOT find any bladder lesion or tumor.  My urologist saw the ultrasound report before he did the cystoscopy.

He wants me to do CT urogram so we can figure out what is causing hematuria, if any.  Thanks again.

2 years 11 months ago #60749 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic New to Forum/Undiagnosed: Expecting the Worst
It makes one wonder why they do a microscopic blood test if they aren't going to at least discuss it!  It is true that in most cases a cause is never found (and some pc's do not even order a urinalysis as part of a routine exam for this reason.)  BUT it can be a sign of bladder cancer, for example.

The CT-urogram should show any abnormalities and then your urologist can follow up.  It sounds as if you are getting good care now anyway!  And while I understand your concern (been there, done that) you should know that bladder cancer, found early, is very treatable.  Just a coincidence....I just returned from having a CT-urogram which my urologist requires every five years.  I am now 13 years cancer-free!!!

Advice...try not to worry too much until you know what it is that you need to worry about.  Your urologist will guide you.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #60748 by Beto
Hello.  I appreciate all the work that you do here.  

I am expecting the worst in this case.  I am 43, male, non-smoker in Chicago.  

It turns out that I have been having microscopic hematuria since at least 2017 (dipstick positive; but within limits on microscopic analysis). My doctors never flagged it to me as a concern.

Anyhow, an ultrasound in March saw a possible mass (2 cm x 6 mm) in my bladder adjoining the prostate; and a separate kidney cyst. However, a uro cystoscopy in April found NO tumors or lesions in my bladder. My uro diagnosed me with BPH also.  

He wants me to follow-up with CT urogram, which I hope to get soon.  I have been so terrified in the last several weeks.  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Many thanks.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne