TURBT- what to expect

3 years 1 month ago #60528 by Lintay59
Replied by Lintay59 on topic TURBT- what to expect
Getting ready to start BCG next week....., very nervous. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago #60457 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic TURBT- what to expect
I understand how you must be feeling right now.  Being diagnosed with any kind of cancer is upsetting and bladder cancer can be even more so since until we get it most of us have never heard of it!!

I had two years of BCG treatments and have been cancer-free now for 12 years.  Honestly, while BCG was not always fun, I would rather have it than go to the dentist!  When you read about BCG on places such as this Forum please remember that patients who have minimal side effects don't usually post....it is those who do have "issues" who complain.  For me, particularly at first, side effects were minimal once the first 6 hours were over.  Maybe a little fatigue the next day.  As the instillations went on I would have urinary urgency and burning, sort of like a UTI.  By the time I finished my two years my urologist had reduced the dose the 1/3 the original one.

This treatment is nothing anywhere near what friends who have had chemotherapy have gone through.  And it was well worth it!!

You can do this too!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lintay59

3 years 2 months ago #60456 by Lintay59
Replied by Lintay59 on topic TURBT- what to expect
Just really nervous about BCG.  Been reading a lot about it.  think I'm still reeling from the news of having bladder cancer, just trying to get a grip. thank you for responding.

3 years 2 months ago #60455 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic TURBT- what to expect
Welcome Lintay59,

Yes, passing blood or some clots is pretty common after a TURB. It is the scab or area that was burned/cut during the procedure. I presume your BCG is scheduled for at least 30 days post as you want to heal from the TURB?

Ask away as you have other questions. Someone should see them and respond.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lintay59, libbygio2

3 years 2 months ago #60454 by Lintay59
TURBT- what to expect was created by Lintay59
 I am 8 days out from TURBT and getting ready to start BCG. Have had no problems until this morning. A small streak of blood and I guess what is clots/debris, is this normal? No real discomfort

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne