TURBT- what to expect

3 years 1 month ago #60623 by Lintay59
Replied by Lintay59 on topic TURBT- what to expect
Getting ready to do my 4th BCG treatment, it has not been bad at all. There has been frequency with urination, slight burning at the end of the stream and some debris and very little blood. My first 3 treatments have been good, a little uncomfortable but not at all what I expected.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #60546 by Sean T
Replied by Sean T on topic TURBT- what to expect

I agree 100% with the above quote.

Recovery from TURBT was the hardest part for me, but, in the grand scheme of things, it was nothing compared to the alternatives.

The BCG treatments, while never listed under "fun" things to do, were not that bad. I have had no symptoms now for four and a half years.

08/16/16 - TURBT - 1 tumor, T1HG, 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm x 1.8 cm, non-invasive papillary.
BCG treatments (15 doses total - last March, 2018). As of latest cysto, As of May 4, 2023 - cancer free!

3 years 2 months ago #60542 by mikequestions
Replied by mikequestions on topic TURBT- what to expect
Close your eyes, and concentrate on the moment you are in, which will be doable. You don't know what the next moment will bring, so focus on now. Know that there are people who care for you, and that there's nothing more important than those people. When it feels overwhelming, come back to that center, and don't ever doubt that power, and your ability to heal.

BCG is not difficult, it's just part of your journey.

3 years 2 months ago #60541 by Lintay59
Replied by Lintay59 on topic TURBT- what to expect
I had a rough time in recovery after turbt, guess that's why I'm a little apprehensive about bcg. my bcg will be done and i will go home afterward. will stay close to bathroom and plenty of water. thanks so much for the encouragement

3 years 2 months ago #60538 by mikequestions
Replied by mikequestions on topic TURBT- what to expect
Hi Lintay59,

The BCG treatments were way less difficult for me than recovery from a turbt. It was not exactly a joyride, but was certainly less troublesome than I expected. Remember, most people who breeze though BCG don't post anything about their experience.

Plan on staying close to the bathroom, and drink lots of water after your first void. I was outpatient treatment for me, so I was able to go home & watch a movie for each treatment. This helped me greatly to keep my mind off of it! You've got this!

Mike

3 years 2 months ago #60529 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic TURBT- what to expect
As I mentioned before, this is very do-able.  You will be fine and every treatment brings you closer to the "all clear" for good day!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne