Doc says BCG not available

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #60196 by mikequestions
Replied by mikequestions on topic Doc says BCG not available
Rosie,

My insurance is through the ACA, I have the same diagnosis as your boyfriend, and I have just gone through the 2 TURB's, and just had my 2nd instillation of BCG. My hospital said they get it when they get it, and that they'd schedule me for my treatments when it came in, but usually it's around 6 weeks from their supplier. Because your boyfriend will have his 2nd TURB in 6 weeks, and then it's likely there will be another 6-8 weeks of waiting until BCG treatments would start, I would think they would have no accurate way of being able to forecast that far ahead. I'd push back, and don't be afraid to ask for a 2nd opinion on the BCG.

...My urologist had nothing to do with the ordering of the BCG - This was done by his staff. I'd talk to those person(s).
...He doesn't even do the BCG instillations - This is done by a nurse.

Happy Thanksgiving! Hang in there!
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: RosieF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 4 months ago #60194 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Doc says BCG not available
This "shortage" business with BCG has been going on for several years now. When it is not available, many urologists use mitomycin instead and it seems to be almost as effective. If the diagnosis is non-invasive high grade they will want to do treatment as soon as possible and mitomycin would be a good alternative.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 4 months ago #60193 by busaman
Replied by busaman on topic Doc says BCG not available
I had my turbt and then had to wait over two months for my doc to get the bcg. They kept saying there was a shortage and it was on order. It finally came from a lab over a hundred miles away.

3 years 4 months ago #60192 by RosieF
Doc says BCG not available was created by RosieF
Hello everyone. My long term boyfriend was diagnosed with bladder cancer. T1, High grade. In 6 weeks, they will do another TURBT to make sure they are correct and they got everything in the initial diagnosis. What concerns me is the doctor today who went over the pathology report with us said it is impossible to get BCG. We live in a big city, Miami. He has insurance through the ACA, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I know there is a shortage, but wouldn't there be a wait list or something?
I'm concerned because it is a high grade, and also because his brother has been fighting cancer, including bladder cancer for some years, so something genetic is going on and it just seems important to try to prevent a recurrence as best we can.
I appreciate any feedback at all that might help.
Many thanks,
Rosie

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne