blue light method for finding cancer in the bladder

3 years 5 months ago #60155 by joea73
It used be available only rigid form and was used in the OR during TURBT. Now, it is my understanding that KARL STORZ has developed flexible blue light cystoscopy so it can be done while you are awake just as regular white light cystoscopy. So, the access to blue light cystoscopy has become easier and with less risk. If you can have your insurance company pays for it, why not everyone with high risk NMIBC should get blue light cystoscopy to improve the prognosis. The American Urological Association (AUA)–Society of Urologic Oncology (SUO) guidelines for managing NMIBC state that “in a patient with NMIBC, a clinician should offer blue light cystoscopy at the time of TURBT, if available, to increase detection and decrease recurrence. (Moderate Recommendation; Evidence Strength: Grade B)

See below the consensus statement by urologists in USA for the use of blue light flexible cystoscopy.

nature.com/articles/s41585-019-0184-4#:~:text=Blue%20light%20cystoscopy%20(BLC)%20with,NMIBC)%20and%20reduces%20recurrence%20rates.

Before I had followed up on blue light cystoscopy. A year ago, I called the sales department of Photocure, which sells a patented chemical solution (Cysview) which is instilled in the bladder before blue light cystoscopy can be used. They told me it costed $1,000 per an administration. Incidentally, in Japan, 5-aminolevulinic acid in tablet form 2 hours blue light cystoscopy. Karl Strorz video camera system was used in the OR with TURBT.
No clinical studies have been done to compare the chemical solution (Cysview) vs oral tablets of 5-aminolevulic acid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lorraineanne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago #60148 by sara.anne
Blue light cystoscopy is a relatively new technique which used a dye and a special light which is supposed to highlight bladder cancer sites. It is new and somewhat expensive and not all urologists have adopted it. This is a question for your urologist...ask her why she doesn't use it and if it is possible that it would be of benefit to you.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lorraineanne

3 years 5 months ago #60143 by Lorraineanne
Currently my uro does not use the blue light method for finding bladder cancers, is this a crucial method for looking for cancers? Should I be concerned that she doesn't use it?

8/20 tumor found, 2 TURB with stent, tumor resected from bladder, another portion lasered from ureter, Toa,papillary urothelial carcinoma, non-invasive, high grade, BCG began Oct 22,2020

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne