Long Term Effects of BCG

3 years 5 months ago #60113 by October28
Replied by October28 on topic Long Term Effects of BCG
Hello,
I have completed 12 BCG installations over the past several months. (6 +3+3 with appropriate pauses in between) for high grade non-muscle invasive BC.

I had usual effects for 2-3 days after each BCG, -- no big deal -- until session 10. Since then the effects have stayed steady for weeks. Although incontinence stopped after first week out form session 12, the urgency, burning and fatigue have stayed for a month.

My Uro is giving me mixed signals about continuing for what would be the final 3 sessions (achieving 15 BCG altogether, his original plan for me). He seems to think I can just not have any more if my BCG side effects persist.

Or is there a middle way? Less dosage? More time between sessions (as opposed to 3 weeks in a row)? I cannot find any studies on line that measure the risk/benefit. The urgency really has changed my job and life this past month, so I don't want more irritation than needed to ward off return. How much irritation is enough? Is there a formula, or is this part of treatment more art than science, more individual than collective wisdom? Thank you.

Michael H.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #60082 by Lin281693
Replied by Lin281693 on topic Long Term Effects of BCG
thank you , i'll have to look that up, never heard of it. Linda

3 years 6 months ago #60081 by Lin281693
Thank you Sara, I hope I have the same outcome, felt better after talking.

3 years 6 months ago #60080 by RJake1
Replied by RJake1 on topic Long Term Effects of BCG
I take AZO to help w discomfort on urination following BCG. Made a world of difference for me. Didn't totally eliminate discomfort but made it bearable. I take it as soon as I get home from Dr. I then take Motrin or ibuprofen after my 2 hour "holding period." Good luck. (AZO can be purchased at pharmacy over counter or on Amazon).

3 years 6 months ago #60079 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Long Term Effects of BCG
I had 6 weeks of induction, and then several months later began maintenance treatment of one a week every three weeks every three months for two years. Toward the end, it got very uncomfortable, and the dose was reduced to 1/3 the initial dose. But I am proud to say that I finished!! I have now been cancer-free for 12 years!! It was worth it!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 6 months ago #60078 by Lin281693

Sorry I meant Sara, how far along are you with your treatments

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne