Recently diagnosed & scared

3 years 3 months ago #60385 by DonaldK
Replied by DonaldK on topic Recently diagnosed & scared
RileyNH

Glad to hear you have completed #4 - I find the rotation somewhat funny as the bladder is emptied prior to the instillation of the BCG.

Anyway - I found caffeine to be the major irritant for me - but I've been in recovery for 20 years now - so there is no way I am giving it up LOL

I have an NA beer every once in a while and have not had any issues from it regarding irritation - just as when I used to drink, makes me pee a lot - but then again everything does these days.

I agree with Sara Anne - give it a try and see what happens.

Happy New Year everyone, may 2021 be SOOOOOOOO much better than 2020.

Hi Grade T1 CIS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #60384 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Recently diagnosed & scared
Happy New Year, Riley!!

Everyone is different so I can only tell you my experience. I didn't live life much different while I was on BCG. A drink here or there never seemed to make any difference!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: RileyNH

3 years 3 months ago #60383 by RileyNH
Replied by RileyNH on topic Recently diagnosed & scared
Hi folks. Happy new year to everyone. Catching up on last week and I completed #4 BCG with no issues. Held it for 2 hours while rotating every 15-20 minutes with some lite dancing the last 30 to hold it. Lol. Had the typical urgency issues while drinking a ton of water the first 24 hours but only minor burning. #5 this upcoming Wednesday and almost there.

Quick question, although I have done a great job avoiding any bladder irritant over the past several months, carbonated, citrus, etc I was wondering about lite alcohol usage during BCG. Was looking to have a glass or two of wine. Would love a beer too but curious to anyone's thoughts or experience. In the past, before BCG, I would have two or three a week with no effects to my bladder.

Thank you in advance.

3 years 3 months ago #60358 by mikequestions
Replied by mikequestions on topic Recently diagnosed & scared

Thanks for your support, Riley. I think we're so much better off going through this with each other!

It feels great to have completed #6! I'm looking forward to a break for a while. My scope is scheduled for 6 weeks from now.

Happy Holidays!

Mike

3 years 3 months ago #60354 by RileyNH
Treatment #3 completed and successful. Full dose and 2 hour hold with rotations every 15-20 minutes.

Congrats to my buddy Mike on finishing #6 today!!!!!

3 years 4 months ago #60326 by RileyNH
Thank you for the encouragement. The only thing stopping me from full celebration is the neuropathy pain. It started shortly after the first TURBT with pins & needles and now has progressed to foot pain and nerve burning on the lower back, legs and arms. The BCG treatments seemed to have made it worse. I did have it fully diagnosed by a neurologist and being treated with pain medication. Most likely something I will have to live with in exchange for being cancer free. Have a happy and safe holiday season.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne