My partner was recently diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic bladder cancer

3 years 6 months ago #59897 by Cariboy72
Thank you all for such a speedy response! I will certainly bring up the possibility of enrolling in a clinical trial and/or immunotherapy with his oncologist. Regrettably, I know very little about the type of cancer he has. Due to the coronavirus, I was not allowed to be present with him during his treatments and appointments. That was really a difficult situation as my partner doesn't ask many questions and is very sketchy with details. Fortunately, the medical center is allowing caretakers in now and I plan to ask as many questions as I can think of. I will certainly share any new information I receive that might be helpful. I'm wishing the very best for you and your husband during this difficult time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #59893 by ckfun
So sorry to read about your partner.
My 76 year old husband is in a similar situation. He opted for a partial rather than radical surgery.
Do you know which type of tumor it was? Urothelial or adenocarcinoma etc?
Some tumors respond to chemo/immunotherapy better than others.
There are drugs in Phase 2 and 3 trials for bladder cancer.
We went to Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa for the surgery etc.
Good luck to all.
~Carol

3 years 6 months ago #59891 by sara.anne
So sorry to hear about your partner.

There have been some hopeful reports about the use of the new immunotherapy drugs in prolonging life in cases of advanced bladder cancer. It would be a good idea to discuss this with his oncologist. It would also be a good idea to seek a consultation/second opinion at a major medical school or National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center if you haven’t already. These places have the most recent information.

It is really difficult to get through all the ups and downs that a diagnosis such as this brings.

Wishing you both all the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 6 months ago #59890 by Cariboy72
Hello Everyone,

First, I'd like to wish health and blessings to everyone on this site. I recently discovered this site (a week ago) and was both enlightened and encouraged during this difficult time. I thank each and every one of you for making this site a place of support, encouragement, and a beacon of hope for those newly diagnosed and for those who have long been in the fight.

My partner is 78 years old and was diagnosed with bladder cancer back in March after a biopsy. A few weeks later he started chemotherapy with cisplatin and did remarkably well. According to the doctors, the chemotherapy managed to keep the cancer for spreading. We were glad about the good news. Then he went in to have his bladder, prostate, and surrounding lymph nodes removed which went well. The surgeon even said that he didn't see any metastases in any of the surrounding organs. I thought, wonderful! The must have caught it in time. However, they sent the lymph nodes to be analyzed and discovered the presence of cancer in all seven. Our hearts just sank. He is still recovering from the surgery and doing well however, we are so worried about the future, will he have to go back on chemotherapy again, will it work, what's his prognosis. I've been reading about new immunotherapy treatments that are showing promise and I am hoping against hope that whatever treatments they have planned for him will be successful in at least keeping the cancer at bay. My question is, when the cancer has spread into the lymph nodes does that mean there is little hope for successful treatment and thus possibly improving his survival? What possible treatments would the oncologists recommend in his case? Again, a world of thanks to everyone!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne