Looking For Opinions

3 years 7 months ago #59868 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Looking For Opinions
Wow...you have sure been on a roller coaster for the past few weeks and it seems as if you are still on it!! The "usual" protocol for low grade, non-invasive bladder cancer is exactly what your oncologist recommended. That is exams every three months. This type of cancer has a nasty little habit of coming back, which is why the frequent cystoscopy exams. Also, if there is any uncertainty at all a second TURB is often done to be sure that all the tumor was removed and that there are no other little surprises lurking. BCG is more effective with high-grade bladder cancer and is usually only used in low-grade, non-invasive cases when the cancer has returned more than once. The thinking is to save the "big gun BCG" until you "really need it."

That being said, you are not a "typical" bladder cancer patient. You are very young and your tumor was evidently quite large. A second TURB would not be unusual in your case. Is there a major teaching hospital near you? A second opinion from a urologist in such a place might settle the differences of opinion for you.

Please keep us informed of your progress and your decision, since it may help someone else in your position.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #59867 by Kpatrick64
Looking For Opinions was created by Kpatrick64
Hi Everyone,

I am a 25 year old Male and am newly diagnosed with Stage TA non aggressive bladder cancer. Back in January ‘19 I woke up one morning randomly urinating blood which was something I have never experienced before. Went to my normal physician and he assumed for my age it was kidney stones. I went and did a CT scan without contrast and nothing showed. He prescribed me some uti antibiotics and told me to come back if it happened again. A couple months later I experienced it again. I went to a local urologist and brought my ct results. He assumed the same thing being that I am 25 that it probably wasn’t anything serious. He got me on his schedule for a cystoscopy at a local surgery center. It was about a 6 week wait because of Covid. During that time the blood happened again, this time with large clots and lasted about a day and a half. I went to the ER and they did another CT scan but this time with contrast. They found a mass on the right side of my bladder. When this all happened I notified my urologist and he was able to move me up in his schedule for the cystoscopy. I went in and they found the large mass, used a turpt to remove it and he immediately let me know that he assumed it was cancer. I went into his office the next day and did one treatment of metomyicine. Once I got the pathology back he recommended 6 weeks of BCG treatment. Ion this time I also brought my results to a cancer hospital to see a urologic oncologist for a second opinion. His opinion was to not jump into the bcg treatments right away. And get a re-turpt. Being that I have such a low grade and stage and it was only one tumor he recommended that and than to monitor it every 3 months. I brought this info back to my local urologist and he argued that the cancer doctor didn’t actually see into my bladder and only reviewed the results. He said he would argued with waiting on the BCG but my tumor was very large compared to most and that worried him. He said it wasn’t worth waiting the time it would take to get the returpt and than the healing process. He said I should treat my cancer right away.

Has anyone been in this position before and have any opinion whether I should start my treatments (I would be starting this upcoming week) or should I wait and get the returpt and be monitored from there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne