BCG problems

3 years 6 months ago #59853 by DonaldK
Replied by DonaldK on topic BCG problems
Sara Anne

Thanks for your quick response and input.

I know I am the one in control here, I am a research scientist myself, so I also understand that regardless of my involvement outcome the information gleaned from my participation in the clinical trial will be beneficial in the long run.

I shall play it by ear for the next couple of weeks - my brothers and their wives are all very supportive and I've been chatting with the nurses in my family regarding how I might proceed.

Again, I am hopeful that others that are struggling might have some further insight.

Ciao

Hi Grade T1 CIS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #59852 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG problems
Sorry to hear about your issues. Sort of "been there, done that" although not as severe.

First thing, you need to put yourself first. You are in a clinical trial and "they" may feel the need to maintain the prescribed protocol. You need to make some changes!! One thing, with the usual BCG infusions, it is not necessary to get the full dose. I was down to 1/3 by the time I finished the instillations, and it is possible to go down to 1/10th if necessary.

Second, if you feel that you REALLY do not want any more BCG that is your decision to make. From what you described you have received not only the induction phase but several maintenance treatments. You should have received most of the benefit of BCG and would probably do fine if you quit now.

If you are unable to complete the series in the research study, you are not a "failure" but have provided information that the researchers need to know.

Best to you

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 6 months ago #59851 by DonaldK
BCG problems was created by DonaldK
All

I was diagnosed 1.5 years ago with high-grade non-invasive urothelial carcinoma - two TURB's to remove it all.

Am in a clinical trial getting the Tokyo version of BCG - the initiation phase (6 instillations) went fine.

Am now in the midst of my 3rd round of treatments (week 1 and week 2 have been instilled)and will get the 3rd instillation on 30 SEP 2020.

I am in so much pain from this I don't know if I can continue the protocol.

From the previous rounds I tolerate the 1st instillation fine and am recovered by the next morning.

After round two (which is where I am at now) has taken between 1 and 2 weeks to recover.

My third rounds have taken about 5 weeks to fully recover.

I have been provided Myrbetriq and Oxybutynin for bladder spasms as well as Belladonna & Opium suppositories, none of which are doing much to control the spasms. A heating pad provides minimal pain reduction, but is causing a heat rash.

I have to pee every 15 - 30 minutes (so sleep is not happening).

I have gotten mild relief from acupuncture (but have to pay out of pocket at $100.00 per visit).

I do not think I can continue treatment and am looking for insight from others, I have yet to see anyone reporting similar difficulties - but feel there must be people who are struggling as much as I am.

Right now all cystoscopies and cytologies have come back clear of cancer - so I am in a good spot.

Any info from those who have been unable to continue BCG treatment and what was the alternate course would be most beneficial.

Thanks in advance

Hi Grade T1 CIS

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne