Mitomycyin /reTUR

3 years 7 months ago #59816 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic Mitomycyin /reTUR
I had TURBT done in a local hospital. I knew about the immediate intravesical chemotherapy, i.e. Mytomicin would reduce the recurrence rate by about 10%. So. I had asked my urologist if I would be administered intravesical mitomycin in the OR waiting room. I was told that it used to be used but not now. I had realized then perhaps I should have gone to a major hospital as most major university hospitals an cancer hospitals would have followed the guidelines by the urological association.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #59811 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Mitomycyin /reTUR
"Normal" really doesn't apply here as all patients and all their conditions are different. The bleeding probably came because of the initial tumor which was removed leaving a relatively good-sized "wound" which bled. The second time, as Alan mentioned, the urologist was probably checking for areas that he might have missed the first time as well as the margins. He was taking small samples. A second TURB is excellent medical practice, and IMHO, is not done often enough.

Your brother seems to be in good hands!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #59809 by Dd
Replied by Dd on topic Mitomycyin /reTUR
Sorry to bother you again ,I have two more questions,
He experienced very heavy bleeding after the first TUR,but very little after the repeat one.Do you think it is normal?
He was given antibiotics although he has no infection,could it be prophyilactic (for bcg)?

3 years 7 months ago #59806 by Dd
Replied by Dd on topic Mitomycyin /reTUR
Thank you so much:)

3 years 7 months ago #59805 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Mitomycyin /reTUR
These are good questions to ask of your URO as none of us are doctors. At the same time my situation some 12+ years ago was the same, no chemo wash after #2. A second TURB is often done to be sure margins are done properly, especially in high grade tumors. Also, if the second TURB shows no more areas of concern why subject the patient to another invasive procedure. I would guess the next step will be BCG.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 7 months ago #59803 by Dd
Mitomycyin /reTUR was created by Dd
Hi,

My brother had his repeat TUR 2 days ago.The doctor detected no visible problems.He just re-resected the previous area.My brother is a bit worried that he wasn't given mitomycyin after the operation,which was immediately given after the initial TUR. Why do you think he wasn't given any cemo right after the second TUR?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne