New and scared!

3 years 7 months ago #59769 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic New and scared!
Please know that the cytology test indicates that further tests need to be done...not that you definitely have cancer. These tests are known for giving "false positives" sometimes indicating malignancy when none is present. I suspect that the next thing that the urologist will do is a TURB (transurethral resection of the bladder) where he/she will use a very small camera to examine the inside of the bladder. You will be under general anesthesia and the urologist will remove as much of the suspect tissue as possible and these specimens will be sent to a pathologist for microscopic analysis. Only after the results are back from the pathologist can a definitive diagnosis be made.

IF it is bladder cancer, when found early, it can be treated very successfully.

The hard part for you, as a patient, is the uncertainty and the waiting! We have all been there/done that!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #59767 by Lexi2269
New and scared! was created by Lexi2269
Hi everyone,

New to the group. I saw a urologist last week due to blood in urine. I had seen it twice before but my family doc did not really seem concerned. This time I went to a urologist.

Yesterday I had the Urogram and I am so scared. Today the cytology test came back stating ATYPICAL PAPILLARY GROUPS OF UROTHELIAL CELLS; A NEOPLASM CANNOT BE EXCLUDED. There is no more information on that report.

I am so scared. I have a history of non obstructive kidney stones and I also have kidney cysts. Since the Urogram I have had issues peeing with pressure. I am also on my cycle and have uterine fibroids. I am very scared.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne