Urine Trace Blood: Risk of Bladder Cancer

3 years 7 months ago #59721 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Urine Trace Blood: Risk of Bladder Cancer
Traces of blood in the urine are very common and in many cases a cause is never found. Yes, urinary blood can be caused by bladder cancer but there are a gazillion other causes that are much more common. It appears that your doctors have done all that should be done. It is very unlikely that you have bladder cancer.

Sara Anne .

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago #59720 by jbknesfvjhsdkjn768
Urine Trace Blood: Risk of Bladder Cancer was created by jbknesfvjhsdkjn768
Recently I had frothy urine and bought an over the counter dipstick urine test kit to assess the issue.

I was initially looking for protein in urine (always shows negative on home dipstick), however I was concerned to find that the at home test was consistently reacting to blood in urine in the "trace" level amount over the past week.

No history of gross bleeding in urine.

Over the past 7 Days I have had 2 lab urine analysis (samples taken at 10am and 3pm on separate days) done via my PCP lab and both results have come back negative for RBC, however the home dipstick test is still consistently coming back as positive for trace blood.

Full blood tests (+ ultrasound) have not shown any issues with liver and kidney. Protein tests are normal.

I have had a urine cytology test, and bladder ultrasound which have both come back negative for any issues.

My internet sleuthing has determined that "trace" amounts detected on dipstick can be considered negative, however my trace amounts have remained consistent over 7 days.

Should I push for cystoscopy based on this history?

My PCP is advising wait for a month to retest. Advisable?

Thank you, Eli

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne