UTI

3 years 8 months ago #59709 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic UTI
I do not think your dad has become susceptive to have UTI because of bladder cancer. I think cystoscopy itself is invasive enough to cause UTI for some patients. A case in point, the web site of Mayo clinic says some urologists prescribe antibiotics before or after cystoscopy. My urologist is so busy and I see every patient who has had cystoscopy comes back with a small towel sometimes with blood. But, he has not given me anti-biotics.

Having said that I have heard a well-known urologist was saying about the field-effect as a cause of high recurrence rate for non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer. It is considered that most bladder cancer is caused by long term exposure to some toxin in urine for many years. So by the time a cancer develops at some part of the bladder, the other part of the bladder, ureter, and urethra have been exposed to the same toxin for many years. So, those surfaces have become susceptive to have bladder cancer. This is called field-effect.

Best wishes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago #59699 by Neelloo2626
UTI was created by Neelloo2626
Hello, my father was diagnosed with high-grade bladder cancer about a year and a half ago. It invaded the lamina propria. Good news is that he has been clear for a year and a half. He had a cystoscopy a week ago and the bladder was clean. Two days after his cystoscopy he got a UTI. My concern is that he is susceptible to another tumor given that he has another infection. Is there any link between a reoccurrence of bladder cancer and a UTI? thank you so much

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne