Blood spot question

2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #60946 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Blood spot question
I am jumping right in here for the hematuria (blood in urine) and ureter thickening threads. My wife, a nurse of 42+ years, some 35 years ago had hematuria off and on for a few weeks. We did a retro pyelogram among other tests (looks up the ureters into the kidneys) and questions about her kidneys and ureters. We NEVER did solve the why? It quit a few weeks later. I personally know a couple of other people with similar stories.

Some educated guesses were a stone being passed nicking the system. Possibly something else out of the norm as an anomaly. Some people are long-distance runners that jostle their urinary tract causing mild bleeding. Some NEVER solve the riddle....it is simply part of their makeup.

Do the tests with competent MD's, if one needs more peace of mind get a second opinion for verification of results and DX. If nothing is found go on with your life. My wife did and she is still here.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joea73

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 7 months ago #60943 by Cynthia
Replied by Cynthia on topic Blood spot question
  1. Sounds like so far so good. Please keep us updated.

Cynthia Kinsella
T2 g3 CIS 8/04
Clinical Trial
Chemotherapy & Radiation 10/04-12/04
Chemotherapy 3/05-5/05
BCG 9/05-1-06
RC w/umbilical Indiana pouch 5/06
Left Nephrectomy 1/09
President American Bladder Cancer Society

2 years 7 months ago #60942 by Connie
Replied by Connie on topic Blood spot question
My mom's urine test results were posted on the Chart website.  This is what it said:

- SPECIMEN IS ADEQUATE FOR INTERPRETATION.
- NEGATIVE FOR MALIGNANT CELLS.
- REACTIVE UROTHELIAL CELLS.

DESCRIPTION:

Cellularity is moderate. Architecture includes single cells. Individual cells show reactive and degenerative changes. Red blood cells and acute inflammation are present.

To me, this part is a good thing - NEGATIVE FOR MALIGNANT CELLS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joea73

2 years 7 months ago #60935 by Connie
I know, still get anxious though....Her doctor is good but very blunt.   When she asked him about it, he said the will send it to be checked for cancer.  So naturally she is anxious for the results.  Plus, the office will be setting up her annual ct scan so there is  that anxiety as well.  

on the plus side the March and September cysto were good.  Which to me is a positive.

2 years 7 months ago #60932 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Blood spot question
You and your mom have "been there/done that" previously.  My incliniation is that this is the same thing as before and has nothing to do with bladder cancer.  It is not uncommon for a "small speck of blood" to be present in a urine sample.

Let us know what the urologist says!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

2 years 7 months ago #60931 by Connie
Yesterday, my mother had a routine follow up cysto appointment - doctor said everything looks good.
Her next cysto appointment is March 2022.
Her last BCG treatment was December 2020.

The urine test they do during the routine follow up, showed a speck of blood. They are sending it to be checked. Naturally I am now thinking the worst. Can that speck be nothing?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne