Low grade bladder tumor

3 years 8 months ago #59711 by joea73
Replied by joea73 on topic Low grade bladder tumor
Hi Erza5, considering the age of your father, neobladder is definitely the first choice for the urinary diversion, provided you choose the doctor who has done many neobladder surgeries. There is some complication like hypo-retention but it is less than 5% chance. It is a good choice to have the bladder removed even though it is not muscle-invasive because it gives your dad the best chance to live the longest.

The main concern for neobladder is continency. Most neobladder patients learn to be continent during the day, but some may not be able to learn to become continent while sleeping. Still, there are some devices like condom catheter which a neobladder patient can use during the sleep to avoid leakage. As a matter of fact, I know a man who says prefer a condom catheter as he can sleep through the night. Also considering relatively young age of your father, the other main factor is that other diversions such as ileal conduit or Indiana pouch require the use of urostomy bags or single-use intermittent catheters for which the lifetime cost can be substantial if your dad is not fully covered by the insurance.

Best wishes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 8 months ago #59583 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Low grade bladder tumor
Your father was probably given something like mitomycin as a rinse after the TURB procedures. BCG is a type of immune therapy which is instilled into the bladder once a week for six weeks to stimulate the immune system so that it rejects the cancer. It is used with high grade bladder cancer and for recurring low grade.

There is a lot of information about neobladders on this Forum. Jut go to the Search button at the top of this page.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 8 months ago #59581 by Erza5
Replied by Erza5 on topic Low grade bladder tumor
Thank you for your reply Sara.Anne

I am not sure about the BCG, i think my father was given that after his first scraping surgery but not the other two times. We do not have a cancer institution in our country, so he is being treated at the urologic department of our public hospital. He did visit several doctors at private hospitals for second opinions but they all gave the same conclusion. Now we are hoping that it will be possible for him to get a neobladder, but the doctors say they won’t know for sure if it is possible until they start the surgery.

We were hoping to see about treatments at neighboring countries but with the current pandemic situations it is not possible.

Could you tell me what to expect after the surgery? What complications may arise?

3 years 8 months ago #59579 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Low grade bladder tumor
Sorry to hear that your father’s bladder cancer has returned multiple times. This is a real problem with many cases of low grade bladder cancer. Has his urologist discussed the possibility of BCG treatment?

This would be a very good time for him to get a second opinion at a place that treats a LOT of bladder cancer cases such as a university medical school or a National Cancer Institute center. There are options that they might be able to offer.

Should the consensus be that bladder removal is necessary, please remember that patients lead very normal and full lives without a bladder.

Best of luck to your father...

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 8 months ago #59576 by Erza5
Low grade bladder tumor was created by Erza5
Hello, my father was diagnosed with bladder tumor last year. He is 57 years old and leads an active, healthy life. He has had three scraping laser surgeries and each time the results were that it was low grade bladder tumor, the first time it was Ta and the second and third time T1. Now the doctors recommend bladder removal surgery, because although the cancer has not spread to other organs it has almost completely overtaken the bladder.

If you have or had similar diagnosis, what solution did you make and what do you recommend?

What should we expect from the Bladder removal surgery?
Are there any medications that are effective in preventing it from spreading or of escaping surgery completely?
Can you recommend any effective medications that we could ask our doctor about?

Also I should mention that my father was not given any kind of medication either before or after the scraping surgeries.

Thank you!

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne