adenocarcinoma 4 cm in bladder

3 years 9 months ago #59575 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic adenocarcinoma 4 cm in bladder
Alan offers some good advice here....a second opinion is always an excellent idea when the type of cancer or other factors make it a bit unusual. A major medical school urology department or a National Cancer Institute cancer center
(a place such as MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering, USC, Stanford....) would be good choices.

You are not the only patient with adenocarcinoma to appear here. If you use the "Search" function at the top of the page and search for adenocarcinoma you can read about many others' journeys.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #59574 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic adenocarcinoma 4 cm in bladder
Welcome ckfun,

Sorry for your reason to be here. Yes, the diagnosis is serious but, there are many with worse situations and still standing. Stage T3 is better than T4. Also, I have learned it is always one day at a time. That is all one can control.

Adenocarcinoma is not your usual "garden variety" of bladder cancer. The best advice I can probably give is make sure the surgeon does many of these a year (25-35+) and if you have any doubts sometimes a second opinion is good for confirmation and fresh eyes. However, being stage 3 you do want to act quickly. It sounds like your Doc has a good plan and yes that kind of radical surgery gives the best odds of survival which to me means almost nothing as everyone responds differently and attitude with you as a caregiver are good things. Pat yourself on the back. This is still beatable and treatable!

I am leaving with a good site for the different diversions with pros and cons (just copy and paste):
my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/12546-urinary-reconstruction--diversion .

Ask away as you have other questions.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 9 months ago #59573 by ckfun
adenocarcinoma 4 cm in bladder was created by ckfun
Hello,
My husband was recently diagnosed with an adenocarcinoma in his bladder. T3
It has invaded the bladder wall, muscle and lymph nodes.
The urologist wants to remove bladder, prostate and lymph nodes.
My husband would like to know the survival rate with a cancer this rare and aggressive after this surgery.
I have read that chemo and radiation are ineffective with this type of tumor.
Appreciate all responses from those who have gone through this.
We are aware this is not a good situation and prognosis is grim
Thank you.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne