just diagnosed with High grade non invasive 1.5cm tumor

3 years 9 months ago #59606 by Silverbee52
Thanks Michael. I just signed and you told me what I was looking for. It nice to be among compadres.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 9 months ago #59601 by October28
Hello and welcome. Your story is very similar to mine. I have now completed 9 BCG treatments. They are very effective for our kind of tumor (high grade). As Sara points out, the side effects are cumulative but very manageable. The treatments themselves are slightly uncomfortable (catheter inserted, then the BCG goes into bladder -- I do not feel the BCG as it is infused). The whole procedure takes less than an hour in MD office.

I am experiencing the urgency to urinate for about 48 hours after procedure, then it subsides and the rest of the week is normal.

Good luck with the road ahead!

Michael H.

3 years 9 months ago #59572 by sara.anne
Hi there, and welcome to our very “exclusive” club that you surely didn’t want to join!

With your diagnosis BCG is the current standard of care. It is very do-able and has a high success rate. Just to give you a brief idea, there are side effects and they do become annoying but they are nothing like the side effects from chemotherapy. At first probably the only issues will be the first few hours after administration. You will no doubt feel a lot of irritation and urinary urgency for about six hours or so. Probably you will pass clots in the urine. Perhaps a bit of fatigue the next day. The side effects are cumulative so they do increase as you have more Instillations and this is good news because it means that the immune system is kicking up, which is what you want to happen.

There is a LOT about BCG on this Forum. At the top of this page is a “search “ button and you can search for BCG. Just keep in mind that people with no problems are not as likely to post as those with complaints!

I had a diagnosis similar to yours about 12 years ago, had BCG induction and maintenance and have been cancer-free ever since .

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #59571 by ifixforklifts
Hello to all, I was just diagnosed with high grade non invasive bladder tumor, had turbt done about 4 weeks ago and next week I start my bcg treatment for six weeks, can any one tell me what to expect and is it a good treatment. I am 66 years old and a former heavy equipment mechanic that just retire 2 years ago. This is not what I expected retirement to be like. Any info would be helpful.:(

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne