Found the tumor, it’s in a diverticula...

3 years 9 months ago #59523 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Found the tumor, it’s in a diverticula...
There is nothing that I like better than to see someone take charge of their situation! Good for you. You are in good hands.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 9 months ago #59522 by Soulbarn
Replied by Soulbarn on topic Found the tumor, it’s in a diverticula...
Thank you. That advice is so good that it was my first step; the diagnosis doc is the director of urologic oncology at a major teaching hospital in NYC (my cousin runs the ER there and was able to get me in quickly.) In that sense I’m fortunate, because my local doctor wasn’t even able to see me until the end of next month. So I’m now four weeks ahead of the game - it’s just that the game has changed.

3 years 9 months ago #59521 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Found the tumor, it’s in a diverticula...
I would strongly suggest seeking a second opinion at a major medical school urology department or a National Cancer Institute designated cancer center. Any time that a patient is facing a "non-routine" diagnosis it is well worth while to get a second opinion at a place that handles a LOT of bladder cancer patients will have expertise in the latest procedures. It is very likely that a second opinion would confirm your urologist's diagnosis and treatment plan, but if you find some better options that is all to the good!

Please continue to post and let us know how it goes.

Wishing you all the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #59520 by Soulbarn
So, that’s a scarier result than what I expected. The doc said that there was a slim chance it could be removed, but since the risk of piercing the bladder wall is so high, it is unlikely. He’ll go in there on Thursday but more than likely he’s predicting the next steps will be open surgery and/or chemo.

Is there anyplace I can learn more about what’s possibly upcoming?

The truth is that I’m scared. I’m 50 years old. I’ve never been sick. I have two little boys to take care of.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne