As Alan noted, your description of the diagnosis is a little confusing. You should ask for, and receive, a copy of the pathology report for your information and for your records. IF the tumor is high grade and IF it has not progressed beyond the bladder lining BCG is the standard of care. There has been a shortage of BCG in the past few years but I understand that this situation is now much better. Depending upon when your TURB was a month would not be an unusual time to wait since if takes about that length of time for the bladder to heal from the procedure before BCG can be administered. However you wouldn't want to wait much longer.
A second opinion might be a very good idea in your case. You would want to request it from a place that treats a LOT of bladder cancer patients such as a university medical school urology department or a National Cancer Institute designated cancer center. IF your cancer is invasive, BCG is not the treatment most urologists would recommend.
Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
I am responding with what I know is not the answer you want. In muscle invasive bladder cancer the standard protocol is a cystectomy. Yes, this is stage 2 and is called invasive. That refers to how deep they have invaded NOT the grade. Bladder cancer grades are either grade 1 (slow growing) or grade 3 (fast growing). There used to be a grade 2 however, in the past 20 years this type of cancer I believe and grade 2 has simply been pushed to grade 3 for causation. If you have any doubts or concerns a second opinion may clarify what you are being diagnosed as your post is somewhat confusing saying "invasive" but not into the muscle but stage 2....all contradictory.
DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
My tumors are said to be invasive, they ate into the secone level but not yet into the muscle. After a tumor resection and a bladder biopsy I am suppose to start my BCG but the uro says there is a shortage so I may have to wait 1 to 2 months for him to get the BCG.
Am I being further compromised by this delay in treatment due to a shortage of BCG?
Are my tumors what are called "Stage 2?"
thank you for your help