Confused about staging

3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #59477 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Confused about staging
BrooklynBoy,

Welcome. I am just sorry about the diagnosis of bladder cancer. A couple of quick takes. There is a big difference in protocol for standard of care between stage 1 and stage 2. Stage 2 means the tumor has reached the muscle layer and the usual procedure is an RC. Stage 1 is usually taking immunotherapy such as BCG. As this is a life changing surgery, I would encourage 1 of 2 things. Your URO may have already scheduled a 2nd TURB which is common for any aggressive/high grade tumors. Plus a 7cm X 7 CM is considered a larger tumor. This is something to ask about. Another option that many do is get a second opinion for peace of mind and a fresh set of eyes.

I am sure none of this what you may have hoped to hear. At the same time this is still very treatable and beatable at these stages. Ask away as you have other questions.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 10 months ago #59476 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Confused about staging
I would call the urologist's office and ask your question. YOU are paying big bucks so don't worry about asking a question!! Either of these diagnoses would lead to a recommendation for an RC.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 10 months ago #59475 by BrooklynBoy
Confused about staging was created by BrooklynBoy
I just spoke with my surgeon after my first TURBT about the pathology report. He told me it was a T1G3 tumor 7cm x 7cm and he is recommending RC. But now looking at his operative notes online, he described a cT2+ tumor. I don't want to start calling his office with every single question because I am sure that I will have many and I prefer to save up a few, but this seems a substantial difference. Can someone help me understand?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne