Bloody urine for a day...

3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #59460 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Bloody urine for a day...
Busaman,

Beets (red) can color urine in a very convincing shade red or pink.
Asparagus will pass it's distinct aroma to urine.
There are a number of foods that can quickly pass a signature component to the bladder.

Best,
Jack.

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 9 months ago #59459 by Soulbarn
Replied by Soulbarn on topic Bloody urine for a day...
Thanks for the thoughtful and reassuring words!

3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #59458 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Bloody urine for a day...
Friday is progress. I remember being anxious also. Tell yourself you are making progress with each step, each appointment. It will happen. It is one day at a time! That is all one can control.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 9 months ago #59457 by busaman
Replied by busaman on topic Bloody urine for a day...
I'd like to get a definitive answer on whether certain foods can turn urine red so we think we have bloody urine. Remember, we don't know if it's really blood, only the lab can tell that. I asked my URO if eating blackberries could cause red urine. He laughed at me and said no, as if it were an old wives tales. But then I read my actual lab report from Quest and it said that blackberries as well as some other foods can cause red urine. Guess it doesn't matte for me because I have the tumors in there, or did until the URO resected them.

3 years 9 months ago #59456 by Soulbarn
Replied by Soulbarn on topic Bloody urine for a day...
Well, the blood came back today. Less, but very noticeable. The urologist agreed to see me on Friday. I’m feeling pretty anxious about it.

3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #59455 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Bloody urine for a day...
Soulbarn,

Welcome. First, if it is bladder cancer it likely has been there several months or longer. Also, odds are with you because of all your prior health problems it is possible it is something else, from your diverticula. prior BPH treatment, to kidney stones nicking you urinary tract to many other causes..

You have done the first step, checking for a UTI. On the subject of getting to see a URO. A few weeks probably will mean nothing however, you are correct, you do want to get answers. With this COVID thing they are all likely slammed for appointment time.

I would use your own doc to push harder and letting your URO know you can be available to be moved up upon a cancellation....that often works if you can be flexible.

You probably will be given a cystoscopy and possibly a CT scan to check the urinary tract for any issues. There may be others that will have other ideas so keep posting away.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne