newby here

3 years 10 months ago #59425 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic newby here
Welcome to our exclusive group....one you didn't want to join!!

You will find lots of us here who have been where you are. BCG is very do-able and much much less than the traditional chemotherapy that patients with many other cancers undergo. I did the six week first series and then the every-three-month maintenance regimen that lasted for almost two years. It wasn't the most fun I have had, but was certainly not a major deal.

The side effects (urgency, burning, fatigue) do become worse as the treatments go on; this is the immune system kicking up which is exactly what we want. There is no magic (or probably even much logic) to the dosage amounts. If side effects become too uncomfortable the dose can be reduced....I was on 1/3 the original dose by the end. Most patients do not have major side effects.

For non-invasive high grade bladder cancer BCG can be a cure. I am so glad I was able to have it!!!
You can do this easily also.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 10 months ago #59424 by busaman
newby here was created by busaman
I am new here. Diagnosed two months ago. Had my fist tumor resection, then biopsy, tumors malignant and invasive but not through to muscle, getting another resection next week, then start on BCG. Scared about the side effects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne