Blood clots and black specks in urine for 3 weeks: scared

3 years 9 months ago #59466 by fenran
Thank you very much for your support and for your experiences. Tomorrow, I’m going to see another urologist for a second opinion. As soon as possible, I’ll start my treatment. I was told that a new TURBT will be performed to take more biopsies and to cut-off all the suspicious zones. As my CIS is primarily located in the bladder neck is difficult to view it with the cystoscope, but I suppose they are the experts in this kind of stuff. I have been crying all the day, specially when I watch my kids... I don’t want to leave them yet :( I’m so sad... I think we need time to accept the diagnosis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #59465 by Alan
TURB's are for biopsies usually after a cystoscope. At the same time, any tumor seen if possible is also destroyed keeping enough to send to pathology.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 9 months ago #59464 by busaman
That is what happened to me. I had my first TURBT on 4/21 for what my doc told me were 4 large tumors. He said he would first remove two for biopsy and then go back for the others after he had the pathologies. But after the surgery he said he removed all of them. Then he scheduled me for what I thought was a second TURBT because that is what my surgery instructions said. So last week I went to the surgery center for the procedure but it turned out to be a bladder biopsy. Now I wait for the next pathology report. Is this making sense?

3 years 9 months ago #59463 by Alan
I am sorry that it is bladder cancer. As Sara Anne said this is treatable and beatable. let us know what the next step for you is. Someone will be around to help answer questions. Sara Anne and me are about 12 years out from our original diagnoses. Another way to look at this you will be on your way to kicking this out!

Also, often a second TURB is done to make sure the URO sees everything and didn't miss any thing to cut/burn out. So do not be alarmed if that happens. When it happened to me I originally thought my guy had goofed up.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

3 years 9 months ago #59462 by sara.anne
Yes, CIS is high grade, which means that it is rapidly dividing and does have the potential to spread. It is NOT necessarily difficult to treat. The usual standard of treatment is BCG which is a type of immunotherapy where a modified tuberculosis bacterium is instilled into the bladder. It is thought that this kicks up the immune system so that it fights off the cancer cells. This is often very effective in the case of high grade bladder cancer, especially CIS.

Many patients have BCG treatments with few or mostly tolerable side effects. It is MUCH easier than traditional chemotherapy such as is used with many other types of cancer. I was diagnosed with CIS 12 years ago, underwent BCG induction therapy and two years of maintenance therapy and have had no sign of cancer since.

This is NOT “the worst. You too can be treated successfully!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

3 years 9 months ago #59461 by fenran
I have the biopsy results and I’m destroyed: urothelial carcinome in situ (CIS). The biopsy found it in the bladder neck. Maybe is inside the bladder too because it’s very erythematous. So, as I understand, this kind of BC is very aggressive and it’s difficult to threat, so I’m thinking the worse and I’m really depressed.:(

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne