Cystoscopy Dread

3 years 11 months ago #59344 by Knifedealer
Replied by Knifedealer on topic Cystoscopy Dread
Sorry your experience with Cysto has been such a nightmare. My first was indeed VERY uncomfortable and painful at times, in part due to an enlarged prostate and my inability to relax. With experience (I know what to expect) and coaching (being reminded to relax, breath deep, wiggle toes) I've found subsequent cystoscopies much more tolerable.

I'm curious: your age and country of residence?

I've had 2 TURBs in an outpatient surgical center, while under sedation. However after the last TURB, my urologist said that at the next cystoscopy, if he sees any unusual growth(s) he will probably remove them at that time, in his office, rather than scheduling another procedure at the surgery center. I'm admittedly not looking forward to that as I prefer to be sedated. He reminded me that there is risk associated with sedation. It's a trade-off.

I ask my primary care physician to prescribe 5 mg diazepam (valium) prior to each cystoscopy. It helps take the edge off. Also, I was granted a medical marijuana card. I live in New York State. With some experimentation, I've found a small dose of 50/50 CBD/THC mix helpful, especially with dysuria that occurs for about 6 hours after expelling BCG. It doesn't take the pain away. It does makes the pain "different" and slightly more tolerable.

I hope your most recent cystoscopy was more tolerable and I hope nothing out of the ordinary was found during the procedure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 11 months ago #59343 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Cystoscopy Dread
Oct 28 Michael

Question nd comment.

Was your first cysto done with a RIGID or FLEXIBLE cystoscope ? It can make all the difference in the worls, ac can the difference between a newer (thinner) cysto instead of an outdaed model.

Some doce are either thrifty or don't use it enough to justify top notch equipment.

My local rural health clinic has old equipment. I will travel an extra 4 hours to my "local" modern clinic.

I find the modern flexible cysto with numbing and water feed is even easier that placing the catheter for BCG. There is also much to be said for technique.

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

3 years 11 months ago #59336 by October28
Cystoscopy Dread was created by October28
Courage to those Men who have found Cystoscopy difficult: Insist on Sedation

I will have a cystoscopy tomorrow, under anesthesia. My second ever. This is because I found the first cystoscopy really shocking and painful, and administered in a matter-of-fact way.

No more will I listen to this nonsense about "slight discomfort but quick" procedure. It seemed like hours. And haunted me for weeks. I have seen a therapist to deal with flashbacks.

So I insisted on light sedation or anything that would mitigate recall of what was the worst moment in my health history. Uro balked, shrugged, offered me Valium(!). I saw an anesthesiologist and connected him to Uro, mostly to educate Uro.

Don't let them intimidate you into thinking a cysto is no big deal. It may be tolerable for some men, but not for many of us. And for me, it has been really bad. The Uro does not want to take the time or book the room where sedation can happen. Insist. Call your insurance co. Get a note from a psychologist. Anything to get sedated for the cysto.

So I go tomorrow, but with anesthesia and the peace of mind that I won't have to replay the assault for weeks to come. Then another round of BCG. When the world returns to some health post-COVID, I do want to search for a Uro who has some manner of a healer rather than a brilliant plumber. I wish you courage in finding a good one as well, and in speaking up about your needs for sedation during cysto. Hang in there.

Michael H.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne