Pain and dysuria after BCG induction

4 years 3 days ago #59262 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Pain and dysuria after BCG induction
Staying at home became a necessary item on my last course of 6 for a day. If I had the urge to urinate, I knew I had 15-20 seconds or I would simply not be able to hold it. That lasted about a day after each instillation. The next few days I could wait 5-10 minutes so convenience stores were always kept in view!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 days ago #59261 by Shacky73
Replied by Shacky73 on topic Pain and dysuria after BCG induction
Thanks! Nothing I can't handle. Just feeling guilty about staying home from work but like my boss said I might as well take time to heal as most everything is on lock-down.

I'm in clinical trial for Tokyo BCG and that is what I'm getting. I can always pull out but would like to stay in it as it guarantees (as much as possible) access for up to 3-years maintenance.

I will pay more attention to the scope this time. I got a glance back in late November and my bladder had red spots all over the place!!! MD felt it was irritation from the 6-weeks Mitomycin I had about 3 weeks prior.

T1 Grade 3 with CIS

4 years 3 days ago - 4 years 3 days ago #59258 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Pain and dysuria after BCG induction
Shacky,

Everyone is different. Mine was so long ago some details have left the brain. I know I had urgency, etc symptoms after each induction and want to say it was 4-6 weeks after my 2nd course of 6 were done for things to really settle down. With just maintenance perhaps that will also help. Also, you should know more what you look like inside with next scope. If still irritated maybe the doc would push your schedule out? Who knows? I am NOT encouraging to do what my treatment was but, it was 6 inductions, then 6 more and that was it. My URO who did intern under Dr. Lamm in San Antonio had many reasons for my protocol on my case. It was caught early. 2nd, every procedure no matter how minor involves some risk. 3rd, he saw I was vigilant on everything. What I am really saying there is no perfect answer of how much and how many treatments one takes. You basically have had 12 between the 2 agents. Reducing dosage strength is often done to 1/2, 13. 1/4 even 1/10. At the same time if it becomes too unbearable, nothing says you must continue....just make sure all appointments are kept especially scopes.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

4 years 4 days ago #59254 by Shacky73
Pain and dysuria after BCG induction was created by Shacky73
I've had a lot over last 9 month. TURBT/flafuration, 2 TURB/biopsis, 3 scopes, 6 weeks Mitomycin, and ending 2 weeks go 6 week full doe Tokyo BCG induction.

My pain on urgency is not going away and at times is an 8-9. My stream is slow and most times I'm only peeing ~50 cc. Sometimes less sometimes more. The most I've gone is 350 cc.

I'm off from work (good short term disability thank God) and MD wants me to continue leave to let things settle down before my next scope and 3 weeks maintenance May.

My MD warned me that the BCG was going to make all my symptoms worse and boy was he right.

How long can I expect this to last?

T1 Grade 3 with CIS

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne