Local urethral anesthesia before cystoscopy

2 years 9 months ago #60865 by busaman
Replied by busaman on topic Local urethral anesthesia before cystoscopy
After a few painful cystos I told the nurse that the lidocaine didn't seem to do much for me.  She said she would give me a double dose and it was less painful with fewer after effects.  Maybe it was just a placebo effect.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago #60864 by Vessie
Replied by Vessie on topic Local urethral anesthesia before cystoscopy
Thanks! I'm a male with mild BPH. I've requested Lidocaine for an upcoming cysto (I'm 5 weeks post induction course of 6 BCG's), and I'm assuming they'll have some for me.

2 years 9 months ago #60863 by Alan
After 20+ of these, I remind myself that this is 5 minutes of my life and if this is the worst part of this....so be it. For me, the worst was the irritation with my first void. After that, it was over. I do not even remember if my URO added lidocaine to the gel, it didn't make any difference.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vessie

2 years 9 months ago #60862 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Local urethral anesthesia before cystoscopy
The answer is "it all depends."  That helps, doesn't it?  

Seriously, cystoscopy is very different for males than for females.  For most women it is almost completely painless, just like a vaginal exam (which for me is worse.)  Males, however, have a prostate gland that can interfer with a smooth insertion and this may, depending on the state of the prostate, be quite painful.

Each patient needs to discuss this with his/her urologist to determine what is best for that particular patient.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vessie

2 years 9 months ago #60861 by Vessie
Replied by Vessie on topic Local urethral anesthesia before cystoscopy
I was told by my urologist and his assistant that local anesthesia (Lidocaine) is not necessary for a cystoscopy, just plenty of gel. I found 1 article in the medical literature that supports this. However, when I  had a cystoscopy about 10 years ago with Lidocaine, it was more tolerable. Does anyone have any comments?

4 years 1 month ago #59139 by Atlanta51
Replied by Atlanta51 on topic Local urethral anesthesia before cystoscopy
My first BCG experience with a neophyte led to an E. Coli infection (two nights in the ER and 14 days of daily antibiotics by IV) before treatment continued.

I found a PA with a heart who administered the balance of the treatments, layered me with betadine, gel, Valium and I regularly provided her a gift card to show my appreciation to make sure she stayed with me for each treatment. An Angel! Having a single provider, consistently applying treatment was the BEST money I ever spent.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne