Cystoscopy

4 years 1 month ago #59090 by Knifedealer
Replied by Knifedealer on topic Cystoscopy
Good advice given by JackR.
Try wiggling toes and take deep breaths.
The first few times I asked for, and was prescribed, 5 mg diazepam (valium). It helped take the edge off, somewhat.
It's been my experience is that cystoscopies, albeit invasive, get easier with each successive procedure. I don't even bother with the valium any more.

Best of luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 1 month ago #59062 by Jack R
Replied by Jack R on topic Cystoscopy
October 28

Each of us is different in how we experience "things". It is important to recognize that there are two kinds of cystoscopes used in an office setting for "looking around".

There is the "Flexible Cystoscope, newer models that are thinner than older ones, and
the "Rigid Cystoscope" of days gone by, that I have only met at my local rural health clinic.

The Rigid gets lots of complaints. I'd rather drive the extra 4 hours to the big city clinic with newer scopes that try the rigid again. There have been a couple of pain problems noted with the flexible, but mostly comments of brief discomfort.

Some docs and staff seem to think that the numbing gel works instantly (it does not), and the doc is usually in a hurry. The gel seems works better after it is in place for about 5 minutes.

Discuss - ahead of time - with the doc, WHAT hurts - is it the whole procedure, or just getting past the prostate ? Did the doc encounter a false passage, scar tissue or other obstruction ? What does the doc recommend?

Let your care team know of your pain and concern, and find out what is recommended. they sould be able to ease the process. Keeping you comfortable is part of medical procedures.

Best,
Jack

6/2015 HG Papillary & CIS
3 Years and 30 BCG/BCG+Inf
Tis CIS comes back.
BC clear as of 5/17 !
RCC found in my one & only kidney 10/17
Begin Chemo; Cisplatin and Gemzar
8/18 begin Chemo# 3
Begin year 4 with cis
2/19 Chemo #4
9/19 NED again :)
1/2020 CIS is back
Tried Keytruda, stopped by side effects
Workin on a new plan for 2021

4 years 1 month ago #59041 by October28
Cystoscopy was created by October28
My question is how to reduce anxiety pre-cystoscopy and pain in real time during the cystoscopy. For my first and only (so far) I had nothing but analgesic gel for "numbing" the penis/urethra. I was told it would be uncomfortable. I am not normally pain-phobic. I thought I was ready but for me the cysto was shocking, I'd say traumatic, and now I want my MD to give me something at next cystoscopy, but what? I would appreciate your knowledge and experience of sedated cysto, or use of Versed or Valium, or ______? Does everyone actually do this wide awake? Thanks for any leads on reducing anxiety and pain.

Michael H.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne