Glossary

4 years 3 months ago #58823 by GREGIL
Replied by GREGIL on topic Glossary
Thank You Ed. That helps a lot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #58818 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Glossary
Greg I understand your confusion about the vocabulary which is all new to you . And I agree that those of us who have been around while tend to throw these terms around somewhat carelessly . Ed has given you the link to our glossary which may help you quite a bit . Sometimes I think that people are not aware of the wealth of information on our website in places other than the forum . Several of us have spent hours getting this set up in what we feel is a user-friendly fashion .

As for CIS this is short for carcinoma in situ . This term in itself can cause much confusion since the term is also used in other types of cancer where it is considered almost benign. Unfortunately in the case of bladder cancer this is not the case because CIS is where the cancer rather than forming a discrete tumor shows up as something like a rash on the surface of the bladder. First it is impossible to completely remove it during a TURB and second it is always a high-grade form of bladder cancer. Fortunately it is often highly treatable with BCG .

Hope this helps .

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 3 months ago #58815 by eddiek

Edward J. Kinsella
American Bladder Cancer Society
Board of Directors - Treasurer/Secretary

& Caregiver

4 years 3 months ago #58813 by GREGIL
Glossary was created by GREGIL
I wish this site had a term glossary. I am new to this site and also to bladder cancer. I have read some postings on here and found some useful information. I have also found info that means absolutely nothing to me, because I don't understand the terms people use. Thanks to a reply to my original post I did learn what a TURBT was. For days I had no idea. Now I see the term CIS. I haven't a clue. There are other acronyms and terms I have seem, but have no clue what they mean. I did try to google CIS, that wasn't much help. Maybe when this cancer journey is over for me, I will understand everything. Right now it's pretty confusing. Greg

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne