BCG and waiting

4 years 3 weeks ago #59256 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG and waiting
Greg, you probably have read this, but will repeat it anyway. The side effects from BCG do increase as the treatments go on. This indicates that it is working to kick up the immune system.

Good job!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 weeks ago #59255 by GREGIL
Replied by GREGIL on topic BCG and waiting
Yesterday I had my 4th. BCG treatment. They seem to get slightly more uncomfortable with each session. Simply uncomfortable is pretty good compared to what I understand about alternate treatments. The U of Iowa clinic I went to was mostly deserted. Very few cars in the parking ramp of a 5 story building. No one in the waiting room besides me. With Gods help we will all survive this latest crisis together. Thank you all for you encouragement.

As a side note, I wanted to share a story. My brother had bladder cancer 3 years ago. He had to have his bladder removed, and has worn a ostomy bag ever since. I have not told him about my situation. He lives in another state, across the country, and we only see each other every few years. I almost hate to tell him of my success knowing how his own situation worked out. I feel a little guilty I guess. I can't help feeling if he had found the right help, at the right time, his cancer could have been eradicated also. I guess I will wait until my journey is over and done, to be sure of the results and decide then. Maybe it's best if he never knows. Anyway. Thanks for letting me talk. Greg

4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #59174 by Shacky73
Replied by Shacky73 on topic BCG and waiting
You’re in good hands!

My first 2 BCG’s were easy. By number 4 it was more painful but nothing I can’t handle. Number 5 on Thursday!

It’s all worth it!!!

T1 Grade 3 with CIS

4 years 1 month ago #59173 by Regor
Replied by Regor on topic BCG and waiting

Wow, nice connection you have there ;)

TURBT Jan 2019; Diag: CIS
Induction BCG (Mar 19) /Maint BCG (Aug 19)
TURBT Nov 2019; Diag: CIS
Repeat Induction BCG - Jan 2020 Complete

4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #59172 by GREGIL
Replied by GREGIL on topic BCG and waiting
Had my first BCG treatment today. Piece of cake. If they all go this smooth, I'll be happy. Learned something new today. As I mentioned earlier, University of Iowa is a dedicated National Cancer Institute. Seems I have even lore than that going for me. My Dr. just happens to be Dr. Michael O'Donnell. The following is a short excerpt from an article about him published I assume by the U of I.
Dr. O'Donnell's basic and clinical research has a long history of focusing on bladder immunology and bladder cancer immunotherapy, particularly the anti-cancer mechanisms of bacillus Calmette-Gu�rin (BCG) and its enhancement with combination therapies. Dr. O'Donnell recently headed a national trial of bladder cancer treatment utilizing BCG plus interferon (a natural protein which induces healthy cells to combat disease) comprised of over 1,000 patients, and holds several U.S. patents for his work.
The entire article can be seen at: here

4 years 2 months ago #59069 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic BCG and waiting
Congrats and thanks for posting. You are on yuyr way to beating this!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne