BCG and waiting

4 years 3 months ago #58804 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG and waiting
Hello, Greg! Sorry to hear your diagnosis but am glad that you are here since you may find answers to some of your questions.

First, the procedure you had is called a TURB, short for “transurethral resection of the bladder” where the urologist removes as much of the obvious tumor as he can and sends samples to the pathology lab for a complete diagnosis. Based on the treatment recommendations
my guess would be that you have high grade but still localized ( not spread beyond the bladder lining or into the muscle) transitional cell carcinoma (the most common type.).

The good news is that this is highly treatable with BCG. Yes, there was a severe shortage about a year ago, but most urologists seem to be able to get it now. If your current doctor cannot, this would be a good time for you to seek a second opinion and/or treatment somewhere else with a urologist who has access to a supply of BCG. The usual wait is about a month after the TURB so that the bladder heals from the surgery.

BCG has side effects but the treatment is very doable and is a life saver for patients with non-invasive high grade bladder cancer

Please feel free to ask any questions you have. We are not doctors here but we are people like you who knew NOTHING about bladders when we were diagnosed.

Wishing you all the best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #58803 by GREGIL
BCG and waiting was created by GREGIL
Hello all. As you may have guessed, my name is Greg and I live in IL. I am 65 yo, and retired. I have never been diagnosed with any type of cancer before. I have no clue what to expect. My brother was diagnosed with bladder cancer 4 years ago. He now wears a urostomy bag, and will for the rest of his life. He has also had throat cancer, and lung cancer. So far he has beaten all of these to a degree.

My bladder cancer was accidentally discovered because of an MRI (I think) I had due to an aneurysm. The aneurysm was successfully repaired and all is well in that regard.

I have done a little reading on this forum, but I must admit, I don't understand most of the terminology. I was diagnosed in October of 2019. I don't know the name of the procedure, but he went into my bladder, through the urethra and removed what he could. My Dr. recommended 6 immunotherapy treatments, over a period of 6 weeks, with the drug BCG. As we all know, there is a global shortage of this drug, and so far, I don't see that changing anytime soon. We have been in contact with my Dr. office and have been told, when he knows something, he will tell us. I was told that with early detection and treatment, bladder cancer has a very high cure rate. My question is, How long do I wait before seeking an alternative treatment? Possibly another Dr. altogether. Is 3 months a long time? 6 months? 1 year? I don't have a clue. Thanks for any help you can give me. Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne