BCG and waiting

4 years 1 month ago #59068 by Shacky73
Replied by Shacky73 on topic BCG and waiting
All the best with your BCG treatments! I started my 6 weeks last Thursday and have second tomorrow.

T1 Grade 3 with CIS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 1 month ago #59067 by GREGIL
Replied by GREGIL on topic BCG and waiting
On Monday Feb 10 I had my second TURB performed at University of Iowa Hospital. Dr. assistant called today to say there were no anomalies, and the tumor did not advance into the muscle tissue. Starting Monday February 2nd I have 6 consecutive weeks of BCG treatments scheduled. Looks like I am moving forward with the treatments I have been hoping for. Thank You All for your words of encouragement. Greg

4 years 1 month ago #58959 by DonaldK
Replied by DonaldK on topic BCG and waiting
Greg

Great news about the U of I.

A second TURBT is pretty much standard if muscle tissue was not included in the first one.

I had 2 TURBT's from my urologist and a third when it was determined I needed to start BCG treatment for the same reason you state - no muscle tissue in the original samples.

The alternate light source the urologist is speaking about is a blue light cystoscopy (as opposed to the white light that is used in a typical TURBT).

The doctor will put a light sensitive chemical in you bladder which the tumor cells 'suck up'.

The blue light source causes cancer cells to different when the doctor is looking in your bladder.

There are a number of papers/research articles out there showing images of the differences if you wanted to look.

Here is the web address to one that has 4 great images of the differences and a bit of

www.urologytimes.com/bladder-cancer/role-blue-light-cystoscopy-detect-bladder-cancer.

Hope this helps and doesn't sound a Greek :)

Ciao

Hi Grade T1 CIS

4 years 1 month ago #58956 by GREGIL
According to my new urologist, The U of I employs a relatively new procedure where, during the Turb, they can use a special light that will highlight cancer cells. It was all Greek to me, but sounded good anyway.

4 years 1 month ago #58955 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic BCG and waiting
That is really good news. A second TURB is often done when there is any question at all about the results of the first or when muscle tissue is not present. This has been shown to increase the accuracy of the diagnosis significantly. When I had my first TURB the path report showed low grade papillary and some "areas of unspecific irritation." My urologist decided to do a second TURB with special attention to the dubious areas which turned out to be CIS. I am certainly glad that he did!!!

Keep us posted

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 1 month ago #58954 by GREGIL
I had my appointment at The University of Iowa Hospitals today. Mostly just a consultation. Also an X-ray and labs. I have another appointment on Feb. 11 for another TURB(?) Is that right? They said my original urologist did not include any muscle tissue in the first TURB. They want to see if the tumor has spread to the muscle, or has grown since October. For the first time I feel I am moving forward with my treatment, rather than just waiting for someone to call. Good or bad, at least something is happening. Greg

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne