Getting my first cystoscope with only local

4 years 3 months ago #58770 by Numberone
Replied by Numberone on topic Getting my first cystoscope with only local
Thanks Donald I can handle tolerable uncomfortable as long as it is not painful

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 3 months ago #58763 by DonaldK
Replied by DonaldK on topic Getting my first cystoscope with only local
Numberone

I have had 3 cystoscopes under local (lidocaine jelly) over the past ~6 months.

They are uncomfortable, but tolerable.

I have severe strictures in my urethra from multiple hypospadius repair surgeries that started in childhood.

I personally would rather use a local than conscious sedation or a general, I guess I have been put under so many times throughout my life that I worry about another anesthesia procedure.

Have faith you can get through it.

Ciao

Hi Grade T1 CIS

4 years 3 months ago #58712 by Numberone
Thanks Shacky I hope my first one is like your second

4 years 3 months ago #58710 by Shacky73
Replied by Shacky73 on topic Getting my first cystoscope with only local
I’ve had two including my first this year. My first one in doctors office and I saw stars.

Second one last week was at MSK with Dr. Bochner. I shared my previous experience and he guaranteed me I wouldn’t see stars and he was true to his word.

First the tech doing procedure heavily applied the novacaine into my urethra then held the tip closed to keep it in. My first one the nurse squeezed the gel in and most ran right out as she did not hold it or apply as much.

Then they waited a good 10-15 minutes.

My first one I saw the dilation tubes on the table and he used one of those it’s no wonder I saw stars.

Dr. Bochner was very gentle and I swear the scope had to be smaller. It was a tad more uncomfortable than getting Foley Cath but very doable.

Had I had Dr. Bochner the first time I would not have been so anxious.

Good luck and I hope they give you lots of gel and small French size scope!

T1 Grade 3 with CIS

4 years 3 months ago #58704 by Numberone
Hi Allen it not a TURB just a look see.just checking on pain level during and after procedure

4 years 3 months ago #58703 by Alan
Numberon welcome,

Just a quick question. Are we talking about TURB's (transurethral resection of the bladder) that one has biopsies and sample done via cutting and burning off what may be tumors? Or, a cystoscope where the doc just looks inside with a small device? I found scopes to be uncomfortable but, doable and not really painful. All of 30 seconds to work through the prostate. A TURB almost always is done as a day surgery and light anesthetic. If what you are having done is a TURB, I would be asking exactly what is the intent of the procedure and how much potential discomfort or pain you might incur?

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Numberone

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne