Very confused...bladder mass found incidentally

4 years 4 months ago #58578 by Jessica0927
Replied by Jessica0927 on topic Very confused...bladder mass found incidentally
Well that’s good that you won’t have those symptoms any more! I feel like the odds are in your favor for this to be benign! Thanks for the well wishes for my dad! Let’s hope this is a happy ending for you both!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 4 months ago #58576 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Very confused...bladder mass found incidentally
I believe that the procedure that your urologist is planning is a TURB (tranasurethral resection of the bladder) where she will again go in with a small camera (this time while you are under general anesthesia) and remove as much of the tumor as she can...hopefully all. She will also take lots of small samples for pathology exams. When she has the path report she will have a much better idea of the nature of the mass. Your previous urologist should have done this, but you may be fortunate that he didn't since you seem to have picked a much better doctor!

I believe that you said that your previous "exam" was four months ago. In "cancer-time" that is not a horribly long time and the tumor was no doubt present then. The four months should not make a difference in your stage.

A couple of "hints." Urine cytology (checking the urine for cancer cells) is a useful aid, but is not by itself enough for a diagnosis....it is notorious for giving false positive results, indicating cancer when there is none. If abnormal cells are found it just means that more tests...like your biopsy...need to be done. AND it does take a week or so for the path report to come back!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 4 months ago #58575 by limich37
I’m sorry to hear about your Father. My well wishes towards you and your family. I’m hoping your father will be okay.

The Doctor told me the consistent feeling of having a uti and urine incontinence will be gone because the mass is pressing on the bladder causing the incontinence.

She’s checking urine for cancer cells.

Keep me updated on your dad!

4 years 4 months ago #58574 by Jessica0927
Replied by Jessica0927 on topic Very confused...bladder mass found incidentally
I’m sorry! I know this is scary. Any other symptom???? Keep up hope that whatever it is will be benign. My dad has his cystoscopy next week and I’m scared also. I am resting in the fact that all other organs and lymph nodes were normal on the CT: So..if this is a malignancy than hoping it’s confined to a superficial bladder mass. Just trying to stay positive. Please keep us updated.

4 years 4 months ago #58573 by limich37
I saw the Urologist and she’s concerned about the mass. I’m scheduled for a procedure under general anesthesia to have it removed and biopsied.

I’m feeling rather upset. The last cystoscope I had back in July, the prior Urologist didn’t check the whole bladder. He put the scope in and removed it after five seconds just said “Bladder looks fine.”

This Urologist checks the whole bladder taking her time. I’m wondering how long I’ve had this mass. I can’t turn back time but things could have been prevented before symptoms started and things are worse.

4 years 4 months ago #58571 by limich37
Thank you so much for your responses!

I’m happy I have a new Urologist. I guess I’m just confused nothing showed up on the cystoscope back in July. It’s been four months later and I have a good size mass. Can masses grow fast? You said your friend is a urology nurse and said sometimes things are false in imaging. For the past six months of getting ct scans and ultrasounds it always showed something in the right side of the bladder.

I’ll have to see when the urologist reads this imaging what she thinks? Now that it’s a defined mass.

I will be sure to keep you guys posted on what she says or recommends.

I am young which helps the odds but I also know cancer runs heavily in my family.

Hopefully whatever it is, is benign.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne