Update on 94 year old Mom’s Situation

4 years 5 months ago #58559 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Update on 94 year old Mom’s Situation
So glad that you are happy with the new doc. You took your mom to a good place!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 5 months ago #58558 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Update on 94 year old Mom’s Situation
I like the plan especially considering your Mom's age. You are doing what you can do. Pat yourself on the back!:)

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

4 years 5 months ago #58557 by DougG
Replied by DougG on topic Update on 94 year old Mom’s Situation
This sounds good. Glad you are both comfortable with the plan forward! Best wishes.

Anita
Forum Moderator
Caregiver

4 years 5 months ago #58556 by Ariver1
Replied by Ariver1 on topic Update on 94 year old Mom’s Situation
BTW pathology report said Stage 1 bladder cancer invading lamina propria.

4 years 5 months ago #58555 by Ariver1
My Mom, 94, was seen this AM by an excellent doctor who is the head of the bladder cancer department at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philly. The gist is that he is having her do a CT scan of the bladder on Dec. 6 to see if he sees any abnormalities, rather than go in and start a more invasive exam first (we’d been concerned that the urologist didn’t go deeper into biopsying the muscle because he didn’t think what he saw and removed was cancer. He said it is important to consider her age and would not want to do anything too aggressive if the bladder looks good and there are no obvious symptoms like blood in her urine. He said it could be possible that the urologist may have gotten everything and monitoring it for a recurrence might be best at her age. He also said that even if the urologist didn't dig deeper way into the muscle, that he would have scrapped and burned/cauterized the layer below where the cancer has invaded. He said the CT scan will give him the direction to go next, which might be redoing that initial procedure. I feel very comfortable with this, so that’s the initial plan. My Mom felt good with it too.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne