Blood Work Indicators?

4 years 5 months ago #58435 by Ariver1
Replied by Ariver1 on topic Blood Work Indicators?
Thanks, Sara Anne.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 5 months ago #58434 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Blood Work Indicators?
I think that the discovery of polyps would indicate the need for a TURB. Urine cytology can suggest the need for further examination, which her doctor is doing with the TURB, but it is notorious for "false positives" where it indicates a malignancy where there is none. Blood work does not give any information about bladder cancer...it is more a picture of the patient's general health.

You really will not know anything until after the TURB when the pathology report from the samples the urologist will take comes back (and this may take as long as a week.) The urologist may have a pretty good idea from what he sees but the definitive result is the path report.

Wishing your mom....and you...all the best!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 5 months ago #58433 by Ariver1
Blood Work Indicators? was created by Ariver1
My 94 year old mom will be having a TURBT this Wednesday for polyps seen in bladder and urine cytology suspicious for malignancy. A full blood work-up came back today with everything in normal range, except RBC was 3.59 (I think 4.2 or 4.5 is low end of normal range). It was 3.9 3 months ago and 4.4 last month, so maybe this fluctuates.

What might this blood work indicate in relation to malignancy, or ‘catching it early’, or nothing at all?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne