BCG or Mitomycin-C for Stage1 + SITU Bladder Cancer

4 years 6 months ago #58374 by Alan
I had to google this topic as I had never heard of this. Anyway, here is a promising albeit a small sample size study: www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160517083315.htm

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 6 months ago #58373 by sara.anne
This is a a topic that you will need to discuss with BOTH urologists. I am not aware of anyone who has had HIVEC mitomycin. I have read reports of it being used when a patient cannot tolerate BCG. Please let us know the results of your discussions, since I am sure that others are interested in this topic.

Best of luck to you, whichever you choose!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 6 months ago #58367 by batman72
Hello Sara

Thank you for your quick reply.

One doctor said that Mitomycin-C when ingected using HIVEC has lower recurrence and less side effects.

Based on my understanding, the infiltration into the lamina propia, the first layer below the bladder lining is what makes his cancer T1. They found 3 growths that were removed.

The rest of the bladder had unstable mucosa (which i understand is TIS - flat area of fast-growing abnormal
cells on the inside lining of the bladder)

Does Mitomycin-C via HIVEC reduce the risk or reoccurance? Does this have less side effects.

thank you

4 years 6 months ago #58366 by sara.anne
BCG is the current "gold standard' for high grade, non-invasive bladder cancer...especially for CIS. There has recently been a world-wide shortage of BCG and other agents have been used. This shortage is apparently easing. I would wonder if the doctor recommending mitomycin has been unable to obtain a supply of BCG? I would certainly ask the reason for his preference.

Another area of concern in the path report is the mention that the cancer appears to have infiltrated the lamina propia, the first layer below the bladder lining. The report also mentions that it has NOT reached the muscle, which is good. But it is very important that he receive the very best treatment and as soon as possible. Unless the second doctor has a compelling reason, BCG is what is usually used.

Best of luck to your father, whichever treatment he deems best

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 6 months ago #58364 by batman72
My dad (78) has been diagnosed with 3 polypoidal growth ~2-3 cm. They were Non Muscle Invasive and thus staged at T1. He also had carcinoma in SITU in other areas of the bladder. 1 doctor has recommended BCG and another recommended Mitomycin-C.

I have attached the histopathy report. Any advice from someone going thru the process would be much appreciated.

thx
Attachments:

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne