Bladder Polyps 94 year old Mom

4 years 7 months ago #58329 by Ariver1
Replied by Ariver1 on topic Bladder Polyps 94 year old Mom
I have some additional information from the urogynecologist who's referred my 94 year old Mom to a urologist for a biopsy for suspicions of bladder cancer as a result of an initial examination (cystoscopy and urine culture). I didn't accompany her to to the visit, but her caregiver did, so I wanted to speak to the doctor to find out what he was seeing. Maybe you can add to or clarify what he said from your experience.

He said he found polyps (my Mom thought 2-3) that were soft and "bleb like," and "cushy," so I guess he was able to push on them somehow. He said a urine culture that came back today indicated suspicious of malignancy," so that's not good. He did say he didn't see other masses ( asked about what I've been reading about "cauliflower or tree-like" growths, but he said he just saw the the polyps that he described as "bleb-like." I always associated non-hard growths as non-cancerous, but maybe that doesn't apply here?

He said that whatever the biopsy next week shows, he felt that the lining could be scraped or cauterized, and treatment of some kind begun. I asked him twice if he thought from what he was seeing that whatever it is is being caught early, and he said he thought so, but the biopsy will tell.

From your experience, what does a bleb-like polyp sound like as far as cancer goes? I'll have more questions following the biopsy, but was curious about these findings from the initial exam and urine culture. He was a lovely man, who made the call himself to his colleague to get her in for a biopsy next week. We appreciated that.

Thanks for any input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 7 months ago #58325 by Ariver1
Replied by Ariver1 on topic Bladder Polyps 94 year old Mom
Thanks, Alan, for this very clear reply. This forum is so helpful for a new person like me!

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #58324 by Alan
Replied by Alan on topic Bladder Polyps 94 year old Mom
Welcome, Ariver1.

Pat yourself on the back as a caregiver, it is an important piece of the puzzle especially with a 94 year old Mom. It sounds like you are having all of the steps being done to diagnose what is going on. With polyps seen in what I presume was a cystoscopy probably the next step will be what is called a TURB (transurethral resection ob the bladder) which is a fancy way of saying a short procedure to go in and cut and burn whatever is seen and samples taking for a biopsy. This is usually a short day surgery however with a 94 year old they may err in caution and hold her for a night. You will not know much until that is done. It is also possible a CT scan of the abdomen will be done to be sure there is no other urinary involvement. Beyond that it is all conjecture as we are not doctors but "been there and done that people". With general good health the prognosis is probably good. Often those polyps are low grade and sometimes while rare, nothing! If low grade it will be 3month checkups for sometime, if high grade it is usually done with BCG for a weekly course of immunotherapy. Something that is very doable and normally not anywhere near the side effects of chemo.

Let's take one day at a time and cross each threshold as you go and let's hopethese are nothing. Keep posting as you have questions.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

4 years 7 months ago #58321 by Ariver1
Bladder Polyps 94 year old Mom was created by Ariver1
For about 6 months, my 94 year old Mom has begun frequently urinating. No blood in urine or other symptoms. Her doctor referred her to a urogynecologist who saw her today and discovered several polyps in her bladder that he said were suspicious for cancer. He referred her to a urologist for further examination.

How likely is it that this turns out to be the case? I’m sterling myself that he’s right, and if so, what might some next steps be? This is all new to us... very unexpected. If they turn out to be cancerous, how is this treated in a 94 year old?

She has a mild heart condition and spinal stenosis but otherwise is doing pretty well or her age.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne