Dad diagnosed with Non Invasive Papillary Urothelial Carcinoma- High Grade

4 years 11 months ago #57368 by sara.anne
This is a question he needs to ask his doctor. We are not doctors here, just patients who have been through similar issues.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 11 months ago #57367 by Neelloo2626
And sorry for the additional information- but my dad is taking Isoniazid (has 10 more days to go) for a positive TB skin test- and wondering if that impacts effectiveness of the BCG treatment?

4 years 11 months ago #57366 by Neelloo2626
Alan thank you- your post made me tear up. Thank you for your support. This responsiveness means so much to me. Thank you again!

4 years 11 months ago #57365 by Neelloo2626
Sara Ann- gosh thank you so much! I am so grateful to have found this site.

Another quick question- my dad had a positive TB skin test and was talking a 9 month antibiotic- can this positive result (and the antibiotic) make him resistant to BCG treatment?

Thank you again!

4 years 11 months ago #57363 by sara.anne
Don't be sorry for "all the posts." I was in a real panic when I got my diagnosis! You are correct that bladder cancer has a nasty little habit of returning....whether it is low grade or high grade. However, your dad's urologist will be keeping a close watch on him so that any recurrence (and there may NOT be any) will be caught early. The usual protocol is to schedule cystoscopy exams every three months for 2 years, every six months until 5 years have passed, and then annually forever.

As we have indicated, this is a highly treatable disease when caught early, as your dad's was.

Do ask any questions that pop up!! (And be discriminating in your use of "Dr. Google.")

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

4 years 11 months ago #57362 by Alan
Hey, I am guessing all will be well. Caught early like almost all cancers it is beatable and treatable. Stanford as a second look is what I'd do, and you are doing it! Most of us come through stronger and more effective in life. You and you Dad will too!

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne