Diagnosed 5 days ago

4 years 10 months ago #57728 by sara.anne
Replied by sara.anne on topic Diagnosed 5 days ago
Many of us have had BCG treatments. It is the "gold standard" for high grade, non-invasive bladder cancer. There is a lot of information here on the Forum about it. Use the "Search" function at the top right of this page. Just remember that people who have problems are more likely to post their experiences than those who sail through it.

One thing to remember is that the side effects do increase as you continue to have treatments. This is a good thing as it indicates that your immune system is responding. Also, the side effects are no where near what you might expect if you were getting the chemotherapy that is used in many invasive cancers.

Good luck!!

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johno100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #57725 by Johno100
Replied by Johno100 on topic Diagnosed 5 days ago
Had surgery around 6 weeks ago and path said it is grade 3 non invasive carcinoma ,it had not got into the muscle , I will be having BCG imuno therapy once a week for 6 weeks the a 3 month break followed by 3 weeks another break the 3 more sessions ,this goes on for upto 3 years assuming I make that long.
My urologist was was careful not to state guaranteed success and said if this does not work I may end up having a neo bladder op which sounds very unpleasant and end your sex life in most cases , I'm in my mid fifties.

Anyone here had BCG treatment ? how did it go ?

Regards

Johno

5 years 2 weeks ago #57193 by JigStep
Replied by JigStep on topic Diagnosed 5 days ago
Hi, Ange:

Re: Could it be they come back and say, do nothing else, it is ok, just have it checked often?

That's my protocol. Doc takes a look every 3 months to see if there's any recurrence. I had a second TURB because he saw something at second cystoscopy. Pathology said it was cystitis cystica, an inflammatory condition that, apparently, can look tumorous. Best, Stu

7/18 Gross hematuria; 8/18 TURBT: papillary urothelial carcinoma, LG, T1; 12/18 TURB: benign urothelial mucosa, cystitis; 9/19 TURBT: papillary urothelial carcinoma, HG noninvasive; 6/20 TURB: NED, inflammation; 10/21 TURB: NED, inflammation.

5 years 2 weeks ago #57190 by Ange
Replied by Ange on topic Diagnosed 5 days ago
What is the c silver I hear of often?

5 years 2 weeks ago #57189 by Ange
I also believe in God, and yes we are in his hands now.

5 years 2 weeks ago #57188 by Ange
Hello. This is where I am. WednssdY March 27, a few days ago. I just had the resection surgery to remove the tumors. I am awaiting pathology reports as to where to go from here. Could it be they come back and say, do nothing else, it is ok, just have it checked often? I am a 65 year old female.

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne