BCG process worthwhile when no sign of cancer after biopsy ?

5 years 1 month ago #56921 by BladderGuy
Thanks for your response. Definitely stage 1. Did not get to the muscle. Second look at the biopsied area showed no sign of remaining cancer.

I'm also on HBOT weekly, and take various supplements, including 6g of lypospheric vit C daily.

The growth removed was likely caused by considerable stress put on my bladder. I was carrying up to 32 oz of urine and feeling no pain. That issue has been pretty much resolved by using a catheter each evening to clear out the balance, so far from 100 to 400 liters. Hopefully the wounded bladder will recover in time, permitting me to eliminate most or all during daily pees.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 1 month ago #56920 by sara.anne
If your bladder cancer is "high grade" you DEFINITELY want BCG. You should have a copy of your path report which should indicate the grade and stage of your tumor. Bladder cancer has a nasty little habit of coming back and you do NOT want this to happen. BCG is very effective with high grade bladder cancer that has not invaded the muscle.

If your cancer is "low grade" (slow dividing) BCG is not as effective and is usually reserved in case it returns...in which case it is probably indicated.

Whatever your diagnosis is, you want to be sure to keep your appointments with the urologist (usually every three months to start) since should it come back you want it caught immediately.

Sara Anne

Diagnosis 2-08 Small papillary TCC; CIS
BCG; BCG maintenance
Vice-President, American Bladder Cancer Society
Forum Moderator

5 years 1 month ago #56919 by Alan
Bladderguy,

Welcome. We are all sorry when one is DX'd with bladder cancer.

Is your cancer high grade or low grade. Is it stage 1 which means it hasn't hit the muscle yet? Generally speaking if it is low grade and only stage 1 BCG is reserved with "watching and waiting". High grade and not muscle invasive then BCG is usually used. If it is stage 2 or worse normally a cystectomy is encouraged. None of us are doctors so take the experience for what it is. You need a deeper discussion with your URO to get on the same page on what you should do.

DX 5/6/2008 TAG3 papillary tumor .5 CM in size. 2 TURBS followed by 6 instillations of BCG weekly with a second round of 6 after a 6 week wait.

5 years 1 month ago #56918 by BladderGuy
There was a growth found in my bladder. The biopsy showed the cancer had not broken through the bladder.
A follow-up check on the area (when the "green light" therapy was performed showed no sign of cancer.

Next month I am scheduled to begin the BCG process, but I haven't heard any probabilities about recurring cancer which are relevant to my case, so intend to opt for a "watch and wait".

I have heard somewhere that BCG reduces the probability of recurrence, but don't know whether that's relevant in my case. Anybody got better reliable information?

Moderators: Cynthiaeddieksara.anne